Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

What sorts of yarns are best for socks. I imagine wool would be too hot! How about 2 ply cotton?
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
LOL looks who's asking about sock yarn! I wish I could give you an answer but I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations also.

I have had to reinstall everything on my computer and so lost all my bookmarks and stuff, but if you try a search on Lifestyle Socks you might like to try them. No gauge swatch needed, use any size yarn with appropriate needles. It's how I first tried socks. They are toe up BTW so no Kitchner stitching at the toe, and if you run out of yarn you just bind off for a shorter sock top. Anything that postpones decisions on length, or whatever, works for me.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Do you use Ravelry? Because you'll get a ton of hits if you look up sock yarns (aka fingering weight). Like i said earlier, having some nylon type material in them does make them last longer. I know this from experience.

There are some cotton sock yarns. Cotton as a fiber kind of gets stretched out and only washing will make it normal again. There may be some cotton blends that are good.

Personally, I'd avoid acrylics although some like them. Acrylic doesn't breath so some people say it makes your feet sweater. I used it once and didn't like the feel of it.

As far as brands... holy moly..there are tons of them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote