Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
youngmum
Casting On

Double knitting somehow inside out :(
Hi,

I'm not a knitting newbie, but not super experienced in anything besides the basics. I'm trying to make a Hoover blanket (i can't post the link since I just signed up?? It's on ravelry) but I'm having problems.

The only changes I've made are that I've shrunk the border to 10 stitches instead of 15 since I'm using bulkier yarn. I cast on fewer stitches for the main body of the blanket too, but I still have an even number of stitches. Reading over the pattern when I started, I didn't think that this would effect the pattern.

I knit my three inch border, knitting each row. Then I knit the preparation row, knitting and purling in each stitch of the main body portion of the blanket. Then I began double-knitting the body of the blanket. I'm holding one colour yarn in each hand and doing K1 MC and then P1 CC, like the note in the pattern indicates.

Here's my problem. I'm 6 rows into the body, and the wrong sides of the main body portion are facing out, and the nice, flat stockinette stitch sides are facing each other, hidden from view. I can peek at them when I'm mid row and hate that it's all hidden in there. How am I doing this backwards? How have I managed to knit it all inside out?

Please help me! I'm sorry this is so long.

Thanks

-Amanda
youngmum is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Hmm... are you purling the first stitch or knitting it? I think the first one is the stitch that shows on the outside.

I've not done a lot of double knitting though...

Oh wait... I glanced at the pattern and it looks like you're slipping the second stitch so I don't know. Sorry!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,295 Posts
Quote:
Here's my problem. I'm 6 rows into the body, and the wrong sides of the main body portion are facing out, and the nice, flat stockinette stitch sides are facing each other, hidden from view. I can peek at them when I'm mid row and hate that it's all hidden in there. How am I doing this backwards? How have I managed to knit it all inside out?
You must be doing variation 3? Are you making sure to move both colors of yarn to front and then back again? I've been playing with double knitting and I think if you don't you'll have a problem but I don't think that explains the stockinette inside. At the front of your work, whichever color is showing on that side gets knitted, move the yarn to the front and purl the color on the back of your work. You won't always be knitting with the same color. If you always knit with the same color and purl with the other you'll get garter stitch, I think.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,825 Posts
Here's the link to the pattern on Knitty. And it does seem that you're knitting version 3. You're right, the knit sides (V sts) should be out on both sides. When you purl with the contrasting color, you're working the opposite side. I'd try the double knit pattern alone with some scrap yarn just to see if somehow you started out wrong and are continuing that pattern. Also, you might take a look at the video for double knitting and see if it helps. Amy is using two colors on both sides but the idea is the same.
It's a lovely pattern and well-worth persisting to solve this problem.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
youngmum
Casting On

Thank you for all your help! By reading through all the ravelry Hoover blanket projects I could find, I came across someone who was complaining that even the S1 purlwise was wyif. Duh. I wasn't doing that. So I was looping yarn in front of each stockinette stitch so it looked like it was in reverse. I'm frogging it all and starting over. Thanks again.
youngmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I came across something like that in another pattern once. On the front I had to slip wyif and on the purl side slip wyib, but it didn't say that. Figured that one out on my own.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote