Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
kbabij
Casting On

The problem is starting... crocheting in the round is easy peasy. It's getting going!

I'm going to have to call on someone for help on starting this thing. Like I said, I'd rather knit it but that's clearly not going to be an option here.

Thanks for your help everyone! I am bound and determined to learn these slippers!!
kbabij is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You're not too wrong - what we call seed st is called moss stitch in the UK. Here's the difference:

UK seed stitch is a stockinette background with an occasional purl stitch
US seed stitch is alternating knits and purls across the row and up the columns

UK moss stitch is the same as US seed stitch
US moss stitch is alternating knits and purls across the row for two rows, and then alternating purls and knits for two rows.

UK double moss stitch is the same as US moss stitch
US double moss stitch is two knits alternating with two purls across the row and up the columns

UK box stitch is the same as US double moss stitch

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,995 Times in 2,510 Posts
The crochet pattern starts:
Quote:
ch 2. 6 hdc in first ch. join
If you aren't familiar with magic circle in crochet for starting a circle, you might want to check it out. I find it works much better for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjYPFBP85c

Sue, I'm going to add some aspirin to my coffee. Thanks! That's interesting and helpful to know.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
kbabij
Casting On

OOOOH!!! Gramma! That is SUPER helpful!!

So, with that in mind, can you translate the pattern for me into English!? In the video, when she's wrapping the two loops around her middle finger, is that the "ch 2." part? OR is that just the slip knot?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The video shows how to do the circle instead of the chain 2. Then you do the 6 hdc in it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
kbabij
Casting On

OHHHHH. Wow, I'm not too bright, eh?

So, Sue, if I did the circle instead of chain 2, where would I pick up the pattern?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by kbabij View Post
OOOOH!!! Gramma! That is SUPER helpful!!

So, with that in mind, can you translate the pattern for me into English!? In the video, when she's wrapping the two loops around her middle finger, is that the "ch 2." part? OR is that just the slip knot?
IF I understand what you're asking, that would be akin to the slip knot you use to start a chain. I looked for written instructions and found this http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx. It's done a bit differently in the written instructions than in the video but it might help you understand it. (I had one bookmarked that I liked better but when my old computer died....) The only way to know how to do it is to do it, at least for me. The worst that will happen is you'll have to toss a bit of knotty yarn.

In the video @ about 1:07 where she says she's going to do 6 (sc) you would chain 2 instead of working into the ring as for a single crochet and the ch 2 would count as a hdc as called for in the pattern. If you are more comfortable starting with sc I don't think it would make any real difference in your socks, just go to hdc in the 2nd rnd.

There are lots of videos for magic circle, magic ring, adjustable loop (it might go by other names as well) so you might want to look at several and find the one that's best for you.

I'll check back to see how you're doing. I might just have to crochet a set as you do yours, just for the fun of it. I haven't crocheted socks in ages.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
kbabij
Casting On

That's awesome, thanks GG!! I've got some yarn I'll experiment with before actually trying to start these things. I'll throw it away if it refuses to cooperate. And I'll update you once I've given it a go. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I tell ya, how did anyone learn anything before YouTube?! Me, anyway. hehe.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by kbabij View Post
That's awesome, thanks GG!! I've got some yarn I'll experiment with before actually trying to start these things. I'll throw it away if it refuses to cooperate. And I'll update you once I've given it a go. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I tell ya, how did anyone learn anything before YouTube?! Me, anyway. hehe.
Yes, do update on this. We can have CAL. I have some acrylic yarn in my stash that I think I'll use. I've not crocheted much for over a year, knitting is easier on my hands but I do miss it. This will be great.

I love videos for learning things and if one doesn't work for me, another will. Without the videos on this site, I don't think I'd have been able to manage knitting. The people here are terrific and so helpful.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
kbabij
Casting On

Hi again! Well, it took several days of trying but I finally got that circle. (I really should have been listening to the video with the sound ON. Not kidding.)

GG, can you guide me as to my next step? I did the circle and the first round in SC, just following her video instructions. What do I do next?

These would be the next lines in the instructions:

ch 2. 2 hdc in each stitch around. join.

Do I now follow the pattern? OR can I just keep knitting around that circle I made?

(Sorry, I really feel like an idiot here...!)

Then this is the rest of the pattern:

ch 2. 1 hdc in next st. 2 hdc in next st. repeat around. join.

ch 2. 1 hdc in each st around. Join. Do this till toe area is the length you want.

I can't believe how much this is confounding me!