Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
artistatlarge101
1st Leg of the Journey

Walk on the simple side.
I am just stumped on this very easy "Kite Stitch Scarf" pattern.

Pattern reads:

Chain 21.
Row 1: ([dc, ch 1] 3times, dc) in 6th ch from hook (StarSt made), *sk next 3 ch, StarSt in next ch; repeat from * to last 3 ch, sk nest 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn--4 StarSt.

This is a free pattern on Ravelry.

Could someone please walk me through this step by step.

Thanks in advance.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,726 Times in 2,294 Posts
Cute pattern. What do you need to know first?
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
artistatlarge101 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
artistatlarge101
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't even know how to start...........

I am so lost and I know it is soooo simple. Grrrr

Last edited by artistatlarge101 : 10-10-2012 at 01:08 AM.
artistatlarge101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by artistatlarge101 View Post
I don't even know how to start...........

I am so lost and I know it is soooo simple. Grrrr
Are you just starting to learn to crochet or do you have some of the basics? Do you know chain, single crochet, double crochet?

Once we have a starting point, I'm sure someone will be able to help get you going.

Just in case it's helpful, what I watched of this video seemed pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8wkt...eature=related

That's a pretty scarf, I want you to be able to make it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Antares
Working the Gusset

Pattern:
Chain 21.
Row 1: ([dc, ch 1] 3times, dc) in 6th ch from hook (StarSt made), *sk next 3 ch, StarSt in next ch; repeat from * to last 3 ch, sk nest 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn--4 StarSt.

Okay, so you've chained 21. From your crochet hook, you count over six chains (don't count the loop around your hook, though). In this 6th chain, you will do the ([dc, ch 1] 3times, dc). This pattern, the ([dc, ch 1] 3times, dc), is the StarSt.

Next, you skip three chains and do another StarSt in the fourth chain. You will continue inserting the StarSt pattern into every fourth chain after that until you get to the end of the row. Then you will skip 2 chains and double crochet in last chain.

Does that help?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
MGM
Turning the Heel

What a very pretty scarf pattern this is! If the worded help here doesn't do it for you, please let me know and I'll make this my next video tutorial for my website. Don't know when I'll be able to get to it though since I have returned to school this semester and have a full course load. But I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze it in somewhere! These are the types of questions I love to answer with a video!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
What a very pretty scarf pattern this is! If the worded help here doesn't do it for you, please let me know and I'll make this my next video tutorial for my website. Don't know when I'll be able to get to it though since I have returned to school this semester and have a full course load. But I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze it in somewhere! These are the types of questions I love to answer with a video!

MGM
That would be a great video! I like that stitch pattern a lot and may use it either for a scarf or something else. I was trying to figure out if explaining the pattern was basic enough, or did OP need basic crochet lessons. Saying, do a dc, doesn't mean much if you don't know what it is and/or how to do it. A video from the beginning of the process would be awesome! I have to check your site; since finding this forum I've mostly been knitting and haven't pursued improving my crochet skills. Enjoy school, and if you get to make the video, please be sure to let us know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
artistatlarge101 (10-10-2012), MGM (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
artistatlarge101
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, Yes, Yes....Thank you so much Antares. That is exactly what I needed.

I want to thank all of you for answering my questions.

I agree that this combination of stitches would make a great video. Have fun at school!

This is exactly why I love this group so much. Never have I not had someone help me when I had questions!

I am embarrassed to say that I am not a beginner. It has been a few years since I have crocheted. In the past I have made several afghans some of them complicated.

I taught myself how to knit from watching videos on the computer. I am knitting sweaters and that is my passion now.

I wanted to crochet a scarf for a friend and decided to crochet one because it is faster than knitting for me. Well in this case maybe not!

I was not familiar with the "Star Stitch" so I went to the videos and watched how to make a star stitch...I think this is where the block came from. I could not figure how those stitches were going to work. At this point I was totally confused and completely ignored the pattern instructions. This combination of stitches seems to me more like the "Fan Stitch" that I have used in afghans.

Thanks again.......Happy crocheting and knitting
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Antares
Working the Gusset

Glad we were able to help! Now maybe your scarf will go much faster. I, too, crochet a whole lot faster than I knit, and I'm always astounded at people who find knitting both easier and faster than crochet. But to each his own, right?

I've noticed that different companies/designers call the same crochet stitch patterns by different names. This happens to some extent in knitting, too. I've found that you just have to trust the pattern and go with it. Usually, though, it helps if I can see a picture and tell what stitches are being used. However, if you watched a video that was for a different star stitch, well, yeah, that might very well confuse you!!

Good luck with your scarf. Please post a picture when you're done. We love to see finished objects--very inspiring!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
artistatlarge101 (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
artistatlarge101
1st Leg of the Journey

Anteras. Thank you for the information. I did not know that sometimes stitches can have different names. I will remember that. It also helps me to see a picture of the knit before I begin. I always look on Ravelry but in this case I couldn't tell that much about the stitch construction.

I agree with you, I also think knitting is more complex and crocheting is faster.

In the past I have found it difficult to post a picture here. I will try to post so you can see the finished results and yes I am well on my way thanks to you!