Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
kbabij
Casting On

Oh, and one other problem... how do you go back to stitching in the round? Because when you're crocheting into what used to be the sides of the heel... it's just a mess of edging.

Ugh. I MUST be doing something wrong!
kbabij is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #32
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
I've not looked at the pictures closely enough to know how the seam shows or doesn't. If you don't like the way the heel turns out you can do a gusseted heel in crochet, the nice part being you don't need stitch holders. You know to crochet into the ends of the rows when you go back to working in the round, right? I decided I didn't like the way it was working out and I've ripped back to add some stitches to make a sort of gusset on each side before I work the flat part for the heel. Now I'm trying to figure out the placement for the increases.

Don't feel bad that it didn't make sense to you, I had to do it before I understood.

I hope you post a photo. I would when I'm done but I don't have a camera.

What yarn are you making the real ones up in? I think you said you're still using practice yarn.

Now I'm thinking that if I make the first flat row longer then work decreases I might get the same effect. Short rows from knitting crossing over to crochet and I think to try it. Who'd a thunk it?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #33
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Ugh. I MUST be doing something wrong!
Probably not.

You posted while I was typing and thinking. You crochet into the ends of the rows. Youtube has lots of videos, you could probably find one that makes it easy to see.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #34
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Good luck you two! I wouldn't even bother trying to convert it...I'd just find another pattern. I'm not that adventurous I guess.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #35
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Good luck you two! I wouldn't even bother trying to convert it...I'd just find another pattern. I'm not that adventurous I guess.
Thanks, Jan. You're right of course, it isn't worth the bother. Still, I want to know if it will work and I guess I'm too lazy to look for an actual pattern. I don't recall ever being accused of having good sense.

I gave in and ordered the Sunstruck needle set from Knit Picks, I can hardly stand to wait for them to come home. Maybe that's why I'm messing around with crochet tonight.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #36
kbabij
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
If you don't like the way the heel turns out you can do a gusseted heel in crochet, the nice part being you don't need stitch holders.
TOO COMPLICATED!!

[quote=GrumpyGramma;1358776] You know to crochet into the ends of the rows when you go back to working in the round, right? [\QUOTE]

No idea... can you point me to one? I've been searching but I don't know the right terms, so nothing is coming up.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
What yarn are you making the real ones up in? I think you said you're still using practice yarn.
It's an Icelandic wool -- I'm doing it in a dark grey. That is, when/if I can ever get this figured out.
kbabij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #37
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OVxq...eature=related

The part of the video you want is after she turns the corner, watch where she puts the hook.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #38
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I agree with all the other "helpers". I personally think it would be very hard, very futzy, to accomplish. But not impossible.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote