Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Elicia
Casting On

Picking up the needles again
I'm working on a pattern from Ravelry called Caramel. It's a free pattern, and I just was drawn to how cozy it looked. I'm doing it in grey and a grey blueberry color. It's been a little while since I've knitted, and picking it up again was relaxing and , stressful ,lol. I think you know what that can be like. Keeping track of where I am with my written instructions are a little difficult lately and a true test to weather or not I should see the optometrist soon So, to keep on for now, I've written down row by row what I've done. Have you seen these new APP's they have? I have to ask my daughter or grandson how I can try them, it sure is less trouble having to stop and rewrite a pattern Have you any tips for this young senior citizen ? What are you working on lately ? Best to one and all. elise
Elicia is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums.

A quick search at ravelry for caramel, knitting, free yielded this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...free&sort=best Is one of them what you're working on?

I like to print out my patterns in a font large enough to read easily but not too large. Then I mark the pattern page up like crazy and make lots of notes.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-06-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
Welcome, Elise!

You posted this in The Blog Forum. Did you mean to start a blog thread? This forum doesn't get many views or much feedback. It's more personal like most blogs. If you posted here by accident I can move this to the General Forum.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
Elicia
Casting On

Hi Jan,
Thank you for the warm greeting and great suggestions. Yes, if it is more appropriate to move this to another general location that would be very appreciated. Also, the instructions for the photos etc. were so nice to have . They are clear, and should help in the future.
Again, thank you. It's nice of you to take the time to help me.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Elicia
Casting On

Good morning GG,
The cardigan I'm working on is caramel by Isabell Kraemer . This is the first project I'll actually be knitting for myself. I'm as so very grateful for your sharing how you manage the instructions, I am on the case today, increasing the font size and marking as I go . A Fantastic idea ! It was so kind of you to reply to my thread , and make it more understandable to me in keeping track of things. I still will be going to the eye doctor , however.
Again, thanks so very much for your kindess.
Best Regards,
Elise
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
You're welcome! Welcome to Knitting Help!

Now that we've got your post in General Forum you'll get more responses. What are you looking for in a app? And what type of phone or device do you have or want the app on?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-08-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,255 Times in 2,747 Posts
I'm glad I could help. I've come across lots of tips here and I'm trying to implement at least some of them. I've got to get some row counter things to keep track of pattern rows (I tried linking stitch markers but that didn't work very well) and I've now got a laptop computer so some patterns I look at on the screen and can highlight the part I'm working on. Welcome back to knitting. That's a cute sweater, looks like fun.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-08-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I just recently purchased Knit Counter Pro. I have looked at it but have not really used it yet. It does look like a great app, though. Here is a link that talks about this app and a few others that you might be interested in: http://www.knittingyarn.com/top-knitting-yarn-apps.html The app I'm referring to is #3 on the list.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Elicia
Casting On

Great ideas and thanks !
Hi Ronda,
Thank you for the suggestions,I will read them more carefully later. I do have a question about if this or all necessitates a cell phone , or ipad, or those type of products ? I don't own a cell phone (I'm a hold out, I know. It's just that I feel even an ordinary telephone has become an intrusion rather than a convenience to me. I digress. I do own a laptop, and wanted to know if this is something that could be applied to a regular (non Apple) style computer. I have tried the suggestion from GG , which I'm using and (highlighting) and it is working nicely. I'm open to more ideas and comparisons in how much can be stored . Originally, I was as best be described as rewriting the pattern, and crossing off where I left off , it was terrible and tedious. I just didn't feel very enthusiastic about knitting that way. As I'm getting older I need to keep track to lessen mistakes and frustration.
Best Regards,
Elise
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I downloaded this app to my iPad, and I do think this particular app is designed for the iPad. I'm not familiar with any computer programs that do the same thing.

I do what GrumpyGranmma does. I print out a copy of my pattern and write all over it. I do use pencil, however. I've been known to need to erase.