Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

Bought a new knitting book
So I went on ebay and bought a new knitting book and it arrived yesterday. This is the book http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Circl.../dp/1604680601

but when I opened it up I was a bit dissapointed to find everything is knit on circular needles. I am confused by a lot of the things it is telling me to do. The main thing I noticed is it tells me that my circular needles should have one needle longer than the other. Does this make any sense to you? All my circular needles are the same length not two different sizes.

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,379 Times in 3,062 Posts
It looks like a whole range of knit mittens and mitts, some or all two-at-a-time. The reviews seem positive on clarity and diagrams or photos. Perhaps it's just not what you had in mind?
I'm not sure what two different length needles means: knitting in the round with two diferent circular needles? Can you quote the exact sentence?
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Even if the patterns are using 2 circulars, you can still knit on one long one using magic or single loop. Dpns too, if you prefer for the smaller things.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
The title of the book didn't give you a hint everything would be on circulars? . I prefer them myself.

I've never heard of having the needles be two lengths and they don't sell them that way. If they mean two circs you can use ML or DPN probably.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
The book description had this sentence:
Quote:
Discover even more great reasons to love knitting--circular needles make it so easy.
That suggests circular needles.

Working on two circular needles is one of the methods for doing small diameter circular knitting. As others have said even if the pattern says to do that you don't have to, double points or Magic Loop will also work.

On why they say to use 2 different lengths... there is no real reason for them to be different lengths but when I use 2 circulars I like to be able to distinguish the needles from each other. That is because you always want to work the stitches on one circular with that same circular and the stitches on the second needle with that needle. I happen to have some old nylon circulars that came in different colors and often use one white and one blue or something like that, but 2 different lengths would also be a way to keep track of which is which and maybe that is why they say that. They can be identical but you must pay attention so that you always keep the 2 groups of stitches to their respective needles.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I ended up emailing the author and she explained to me that the photo shown in the book is showing two sets of needles that are different sizes but is one of each which explains why it looks like 1 set!

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,599 Posts
Knitting circular, I sometimes use a smaller size needle for the left, it makes it quicker and easier to knit with the right needle in the size I need and my interchangeable set makes it easy to do. Different sizes makes sense to me, different lengths doesn't.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Knitting circular, I sometimes use a smaller size needle for the left, it makes it quicker and easier to knit with the right needle in the size I need and my interchangeable set makes it easy to do. Different sizes makes sense to me, different lengths doesn't.
I will do my ribbing using, for example, an interchangeable US6 circs. Then when it's time to up the needle to 'gauge size' US8...I'll change the right needle tip to the US8 for the first row. However, sometimes I'll knit a few rows without changing the OTHER TIP to the US8, essentially knitting with a US6 at one end and US8 at the other end!

Eunny Jang, from Interweave Knits and Knitting Daily TV says, "not to worry....the gauge with level itself out to the US8. No need to frog back those few rows....the US8 will expand the US6 stitches to meet US8 gauge."

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,379 Times in 3,062 Posts
That makes sense to me. The right hand needle on circulars is doing the heavy lifting by forming the sts and setting the gauge.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Marina1109
1st Leg of the Journey

Ever since I discovered circular needles, I can't use anything but circular. I mean I can, but I like them better.
I always ended up losing/misplacing one of the needles if I got up to do something. I spent more time looking for the misplaced one.
With circular needles it's EXTREMELY difficult to lose them without losing the actual project
Marina1109 is offline   Reply With Quote