Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Here's an old post of mine. This is mitten measurements. For gloves, you will take the distance from the cuff to the thumb and add 2 inches. For the medium size, this will be about 4 1/2 inches.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=107336

Looking at this post, I'm not seeing the circumference around the hand. This chart from Knitting on the Net is pretty accurate. These measurements will also work for crocheted mittens and gloves. I just made mittens for my one year old granddaughter using this chart and they fit.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/mittensize.htm
GrumpyGramma (11-10-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I hate patterns. I like to use a measuring tape and measure the distances. I've done a lot of mittens and convertible mittens. I've done gloves, too, although I really don't like making the fingers. Your distance from where you end the ribbed cuff to the thumb opening is going to be the same as the thumb length. For medium size mittens and gloves, which most people are, is about 2 1/2 inches for these two measurements. From the thumb opening to where you will actually start the fingers is about 1 3/4 to 2 inches depending on your hand size. If these gloves are for you, knit until you get to where your knuckles and fingers meet. If this is for someone else, see if you can get them to trace their hands on a piece of paper for you and measure from that.

A teen/small woman size will be about 2 1/4 inches. Large size will be 2 3/4. The measurements are pretty standard, unless you run into odd people. I'm doing gloves for my in-law. His hands are average but he has long drummer fingers. This also won't work if someone has linebacker/big moose hands. Best to get out that piece of paper and maybe two sheets if they're really large. Hope this helps.

I must print this to keep for future reference. I prefer making things to fit, as you do, over patterns. I've pretty much ditched the pattern and when I start again I will follow your measurements and expect better results. For you it's designing, for me it's making it up as I go along.

Tonight I started playing with a knitted hem to start a double seed stitch cardi. I'll get back to the gloves when this frustrates me as much as the gloves were.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I knew this had been posted and I thought it was you who did. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=107336 I couldn't find it. Thank you so very much!

I discovered starting mittens the same as toe up socks. It makes them easy to fit, at least for me. Why did I try it? I don't like grafting, which I believe is what the Kitchener stitch is. That and I tend to do thing upside down and/or backwards anyhow.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You can do it either way, up or down. I use an afterthought thumb on mine, forgot to mention that. I tend to knit a little loose. I use size 8 needles. You might want to use a size 7. The cast on for me was 32 stitches. You can use that as a starting guide. I do magic loop. That comes out to 16 stitches per needle. When I get to the fingers, they're divided four stitches per finger on each needle. I cast on 3 stitches for the gap on the first finger. I pick up 3 for the other fingers. I'm sure you know how to do this. To eliminate the gap between the fingers, I switch the two stitches there around crossing them. If you look at those cheap mini dollar store magic gloves, that's how they're done between the fingers.

I have one glove to go for the inlaw. Am babysitting my granddaughter tonight, so I'll have to remember to measure the SIL's hands. His are about the same size as his father's. It's just getting up the gumption to do it. I so hate knitting fingers in gloves.

Edit: Another thought. I like the German Twisted cast on in the KH videos when doing gloves/mittens bottom up. I like Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy cast off (Youtube) when doing them top down.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

These gloves are one of my what I call Albatross projects. My worst was the Christening dress from H that I must have frogged 20 times. I was so relieved to see it mailed and GONE. This is something that is so bad that if it were up to you, you'd toss it and never look at it again. I already did the gloves but they came back to me. I have to redo the fingers. He's the oddball with the drummer fingers. But I promised it to him so I've gotta do it.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Quote:
Am babysitting my granddaughter tonight,
Yea! You said you hadn't been able to see her before, didn't you? Albatross gloves or not, she's a good reason for looking forward to tonight.

I'm sweatering now. LOL I'll get back to the gloves. If I want to avoid them longer I have 2 scarves otn, one a drop stitch with Simply Sucky...Soft.... yarn in autum red (I think that's what the red is called, the drop stitch got boring and I've not looked at it for a while) and other with a seeded rib stitch in RH With Love berry red (I like this, it's reversible, very easy, and will be really warm, I might make a headband or hat to match http://smariek.blogspot.com/2007/10/...rib-scarf.html I think it might be a bit thick for mittens or gloves and I've not worked it in the round yet). Then there are the socks I started. If I bothered to really think about it there are probably more WIPs. Like the convertible mittens I need to finish stitching. My GS was pleased with the convertible mittens I made for his Sackboy costume, he liked being able to take thumbs and fingers out, BTW I think it was you who posted a pic of mittens with a slit for the thumb, I figured out how to do that for the Sackboy mittens. You're turning into something of a guru! and certainly inspire me.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You're making me blush! I just hate being chained to a pattern. I like using the size needles and yarn I want. I don't like having to count rows because I'm lazy and always lose count anyway. After a while, you know your gauge and yarn and it's easy to knit or crochet to fit someone. I know you crochet, too. Those measurements should be good for crocheted mittens as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #18
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Another reason I have trouble with patterns is that they won't fit me. If I have to make so many modifications, why not just do it from scratch. It's challenging learning to do sweaters for myself, but I will succeed! I'll make gloves too. Sometime. Soon. Maybe. I thought I should start with a glove pattern because I haven't any real idea how to deal with placing the fingers. Meanwhile I've come across a different way of working sock heels that I want to try, I can't remember what it's called but I think it starts with an F. You work increases (on toe up socks) then the short rows decrease.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Well, you crochet. You might want to consider crocheting gloves. Teresa has an excellent tutorial. This is for fingerless gloves, but all you'd have to do is extend the fingertips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWce01q3H_4&feature=plcp