Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Ideally, for the shaping, you'd like the increases to be symmetrical so that the sleeve widens evenly up to the shoulder. If you're just doing one sleeve at a time and since it's a relatively small number of sts. I'd rip out to the first increase row and put in the increases correctly. Otherwise, just add in the single increase on the side that is missing it on the second or fourth row from where you are now.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No you've only increased 1 st per row, so there's more at one edge than the other, so you'll have to take out those rows to the end of row 9 where you increased at the beginning of it, then do one at the end too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Gra13
Casting On

Ok girls...hopefully my last request,....for this project anyhoo!!!

Im on the last sleeve...( got a bit delayed knitting jumpers for babies for Africa)..

anyhoo..after this there are instructions for my neckband....

(now so far I have the front of the jumper done, with 9 stitches for the centre of the front on a stitch holder...and the back of the jumper with 13 stitches on a stitch holder...)

Instructions for neckbank are as follows;
Join right shoulder seam. With rs facing, using 5mm needles pick up and knit 4 sts evenly along shoulder edging, 12 sts evenly along left side of neck, 9 sts left on a stitch holder at front of neck, 14 sts evenly along right side of neck, 8 sts evenly along right side of back neck, 13 sts left on a stitch holder at back of neck, 6 sts evenly along left side of back neck and 4 sts evenly along shoulder .edging. 70 sts.

Ive never knitted a jumper before, so Its all new to me...but what I have is looking good & I dont want to mess up the end ...

so is this telling me to sew the right shoulder seam? there are seperate instructions later in the pattern for sewing, thats why Im unsure whether thats what it means here..
then with rs facing, does that mean with the front of the jumper facing me?
For pick up and knit 4 sts evenly along shoulder edging...am I just to stick my needle into holes(stitch edges) in the edge & knit these??? and where exactely is the shoulder edging?? is this the side or the top of the shoulder.....Oh God Im so confused with this part...and following from this, whats the left side of the neck...

Im sorry for the questions..its all in the one instruction..Im thinking I might have to try go to my local knitting club & get someone to show me how to finish neckband..& put it all together...

Any help would me greatly appreciated....thanks in advance.
Grainne
Gra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Hi Grainne, You've done very well so far so this isn't going to stop you!
Start by sewing up the seam that doesn't have the ribbing and extra band on it. Now turn the sweater right side out. The idea is to have the sweater turned with the public side or outside of the sweater facing out (just the way you would wear it). The words left side now actually refers to the left side of the sweater as you would wear it. You basically want to start at the shoulder edging (this is where the 3 button opening is or will be) and pick up 4sts, then continue down the side of the neck, work the front center 9sts, up the other front of neck to the shoulder and then continue around to the back unti you get to the edging at the back left shoulder.
Here's a video for picking up stitches that may help. Of course, it's always good to bring you knitting to a club or to friends who knit because they can show you right there what to do.
First time is always the hardest.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote