Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Woodi
Turning the Heel

she's knitting in a strange way!
in this instruction video (got it from freeknitting.com) where she is demo-ing how to do the pattern, I notice that she is knitting into the front of stitch, but pulling the yarn from behind, or upside-down, or inside-out (or somethin'!)

If you want to watch this and explain how she's doing a simple knit stitch, thank you.....and it might also be worth while for others..... the short instructional video for a man's scarf (she calls Pagoda scarf) is here: Pretty colour, btw!

http://www.needyl.com/knitting/mens-scarf-pattern/
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

That IS weird and not a "regular" knit stitch. She's actually doing a "Knit into the back loop" stitch where it says to K3. Her stitches are coming out twisted.

Interesting, isn't it?

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Agreed.

Her K3s in row 1 are what we western knitters would call a k3tbl.
Also, she wraps the yarn clockwise (eastern method) rather than counterclockwise (western method).

Can't tell for sure what she does when she purls on row 2 as it was too fast. But she appears to do the K3s again as k3tbl.

However, on row 3 the Ks within the row are done the usual way (front loop, counterclockwise wrap), and only the selvedge sts are done as ktbl with clockwise wraps. (Note she is only working 19 sts in the video, not 35 as called for in the pattern)

Given the scarf's name, Maos' Little Red Scarf, and the yarn, Pagoda, maybe she wants to be using these eastern techniques, and just has written them incorrectly in the pattern.

Based on what I saw in the video, my interpretation of the pattern repeat would be...
Row 1: (K3tbl, slip next 5 sts with yarn in front) repeat to last 3 sts, K3tbl
Row 2: (K3tbl, P5) repeat to last 3 sts, K3tbl
Row 3: K3tbl, (K2, pu, K3) repeat to last 3 sts, K3tbl
Row 4: (K3tbl, P5) repeat to last 3 sts, K3tbl

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 11-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I wonder if the Ktbl is knit that way intentionally or if that's just the way she knits.

That's a beautiful scarf!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

At the beginning of the video it seemed like she was knitting through the back loop but around the 1:40 mark when the instruction "knit 7" is on the screen it looks like she's just pulling the yarn in a funny and stretching the front leg of the stitch back but she is knitting through the front. I could really see this at about 1:48 just before she works a dropped stitch from a lower row. She just has an extra twist or something when she pulls the yarn through. Maybe it's something she developed as she worked on her tension when first learning.
Whatever it is, it's working for her - I love that scarf pattern! I think I'm going to put this on my list of future projects. Thanks for a great find!
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Her stitches are mounted right oriented rather than left like most Continental and English knitters do. You guys would say our stitches are backward. This is some type of Eastern, Russian, or Combined knitting technique. I knit in Eastern European style and my knit stitches are like that. But she purls in the front. True Eastern European style has both knit and purl stitches done with the yarn behind the needles. The yarn is never in front. The stitches are not twisted. The work turns out the same way yours does. It's just a different way of getting there. Eastern knitting has been around since 200 ad, predating Continental and English. So actually, your stitches are backwards. lol
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Her stitches are mounted right oriented rather than left like most Continental and English knitters do. You guys would say our stitches are backward. This is some type of Eastern, Russian, or Combined knitting technique. I knit in Eastern European style and my knit stitches are like that. But she purls in the front. True Eastern European style has both knit and purl stitches done with the yarn behind the needles. The yarn is never in front.
Do you know if there is a video showing Eastern European style knitting or written info? I've tried to find out more about it but haven't been very successful.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Was just about to post it. Here it is. This is not Combined knitting like Annie Modessit does. There are some Youtube videos, but they erroneously call their style Eastern European when it's combined. Sorry, but this irks me. True Eastern European knitting always has the yarn in back of the work.

http://yarnsoftheheart.blogspot.com/...ean-style.html
Rie (11-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Thanks for the link. Just curious, if you don't mind my asking, how did you become an Eastern European style knitter? I might well knit that way if I'd been introduced to it. Also, is the yarn ever thrown as in English style? I don't see how it could be. I must try this.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I saw it online. My tension wasn't so hot with Continental knitting so I thought I'd give it a try. I guess I've been knitting that style for three or four years now. The yarn is held in the left hand like Continental knitting. I drape my yarn over my left middle finger rather than my index. But that's the way I was taught. A gal taught me Continental knitting when I was about 12. She learned it from her old German grandmother. Granny knit with the yarn over the middle finger.
GrumpyGramma (11-12-2012)