Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
alexiagalindo
Casting On

Need Help With (P1,K1) 3 Times
I am currently in the process of knitting a slouchy beanie, and I've knitted all the way up to the cap shaping part of the pattern. But I'm stuck and would really like some help. The pattern I'm using is called Casual Comfort, and it is in the Celebrity Slouchy Beanies for the Family by Lisa Gentry (Published by Leisure Arts).

Here is the part I'm confused about:

Quote:
Rnd 1: * (P1,K1) 3 Times, P2 tog, K2 tog; repeat from * around to last st, P1.

I pretty much understand everything BUT "(P1,K1) 3 Times".

I did some searching and the best things I could find were two threads here on KnittingHelp, but they both state two different things about how to do it. Naturally, it made me even more confused.

I would link to them, but apparently, I can't as this is only my first post.

Here is what the first one said:

Quote:
You would[...]p1k1p1k1p1k1[...]3 times
-- User: mwhite

Second source:

Quote:
My take is that you should get 6 stitches in the one.

P,K,P,K,P,K all into the one stitch.

[...]

Purl one into the stitch, but don't slide it off. Bring the yarn to the back between the needles and knit into the same stitch, again not sliding it off. Bring the yarn to the front between the needles and purl again, and repeat, making sure to bring the yarn to the back to knit and to the front to purl. You should end up with knittable stitches on the next row.
--User: Ingrid

I understand both methods, but I have no idea which one is the right way in regard to this hat.

I'm fairly new to knitting, if that wasn't already clear, so any help would be much appreciated!
alexiagalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
You do whatever is in parenthesis the number of times it says to. So in this case you p1k1p1k1p1k1, p2tog, k2tog. Then you repeat that same thing around till you have 1 stitch which you purl.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
alexiagalindo (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
alexiagalindo
Casting On

Okay, I've been looking at the hat so far, and I've realized that my problem with doing p1k1p1k1p1k1 is that it will screw up the look of the hat.

The patter for the body of the hat is:

Quote:
Rnd 1: P1, (K1, P1) around.

Rnd 2: K1, (P1, K1) around.

Repeat Rnds 1 and 2 for patter until piece measures approximately 5 1/2" (14 cm) from cast on edge, ending by working Rnd 2.

The result is purls on top of knits for every round, making it look really bumpy.

Anyway, I know if I did p1k1p1k1p1k1 it would result with knits on knits and purls on purls, like ribbing. I know because there are a few areas where I've done that by mistake, and it doesn't look right.

So I tried the other method, knitting and purling into one stitch and that was weird, too, because it added six more stitches when, at this point in the pattern, I'm supposed to start decreasing stitches (going from 111 sts to 89).

Maybe, I wasn't doing it right? It just didn't seem right to have added more stitches. Not to mention it was twisting weird, even though I tried to make sure that I was moving the yarn for every knit and purl.

I hope I'm being detailed enough. Actually, I think I could be leaving out something. When/If it comes to me, whatever it is, I'll add it asap.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
Whatever the questions in the previous posts, these directions are clear:
* (P1,K1) 3 Times, P2 tog, K2 tog; repeat from * around to last st, P1.
It means p1k1p1k1p1k1, p2tog, k2tog and then repeat p1k1p1k1p1k1, p2tog, k2tog around the hat.
As long as you start this after a rnd 2 you should be fine following the directions as given. The decrease rnd is the same pattern as rnd 1:
P1, (K1, P1) around
(but with added decreases). It will put knits on top of purls and vice versa. Even the p2tog and k2tog will maintain pattern. Just don't try to do it after a rnd 1. That will throw off the pattern.
Good luck with the hat and do post a picture if you'd like!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
alexiagalindo (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
alexiagalindo
Casting On

You're both right. p1k1p1k1p1k1 is the way to go.

This morning when I looked at it again with fresh eyes I noticed that I purled where I should have knitted at the beginning of the last round. That's why I was so thrown off.

I'll redo the last round; I'm certain that's the problem now.

Thank you so much! I'll report back once I've fixed it.