Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Cat litter for removing moisture
In a thread about moldy-smelling yarn, cat litter as a moisture absorbent was suggested. Does anyone have any idea of how it could be used as an inexpensive dehumidifier? Seattle is not known for it's arid weather and I sometimes feel like soaking up some of the humidity in my apt. might be a good idea. It's not damp enough that I have mold problems, just enough to make it feel colder in here, if were less humid I wouldn't want to turn the heat up to dry things out.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
I've always had cats and never noticed the litter absorbed moisture unless it was provided by a cat. I think it has to be a lot of liquid.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'd suggest a small dehumidifier. I didn't know you lived in Seattle. My daughter lived there in Auburn. The kids just sold the house and moved to Wisconsin. That's my daughter with my new granddaughter that I've been spoiling. Small world. Hey, you're always welcome here in Wisconsin. A bit colder, though. My SIL is still adjusting. Felt sorry for them. Adjusting to the time zone change, then we switched to Standard time besides.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I think my idea was not so great. I need to see about a dehumidifier. I've lived in Auburn, actually. Wisconsin sounds lovely but it's 30 deg. out this a.m. and that's cold enough for me. If I ever make it out your way, I'll let you know!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I live in southern CA and it got down to 41 the other morning..brrr! Its cloudy and cool right now, but the cloud cover has kept the temp higher. do have the heat on a bit though.

I was born and raised here so my friend in Ottawa, Canada invited my DH and I to experience a real winter one year in February. We bought some stuff, but I borrowed a coat. Boy was it cold!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

I've read about dehydrating cut flowers in cat litter. Of course, you have to completely envelope the flowers in cat litter, so perhaps it's just a matter of getting enough litter into your apartment.

Perhaps you could contact a construction company and have them bring you a whole dump truck load of cat litter which you could then shovel into the appropriate rooms.

If you do try this, we'd love to see pictures--and of course, do write up an ongoing report about it, too. You know, give us the play-by-play of how it's working and all!

P.S. Better leave the kitchen unlittered, though, otherwise you won't have enough moisture around to wash dishes! (But, hey, drying them will be a snap!)
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I've read about dehydrating cut flowers in cat litter. Of course, you have to completely envelope the flowers in cat litter, so perhaps it's just a matter of getting enough litter into your apartment.

Perhaps you could contact a construction company and have them bring you a whole dump truck load of cat litter which you could then shovel into the appropriate rooms.

If you do try this, we'd love to see pictures--and of course, do write up an ongoing report about it, too. You know, give us the play-by-play of how it's working and all!

P.S. Better leave the kitchen unlittered, though, otherwise you won't have enough moisture around to wash dishes! (But, hey, drying them will be a snap!)

Alas, this doesn't meet the inexpensive criterion. It sounds like a great plan otherwise.

Uh, what do you mean about drying dishes?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Alas, this doesn't meet the inexpensive criterion. It sounds like a great plan otherwise.

Uh, what do you mean about drying dishes?

Unless you have a pet then your apt becomes one giant litterbox.

And dry dishes? Most go in the dishwasher and those that don't dry themselves just fine and don't need any intervention from me.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post

Unless you have a pet then your apt becomes one giant litterbox.

And dry dishes? Most go in the dishwasher and those that don't dry themselves just fine and don't need any intervention from me.

What's this all about, Jan? You mean I'm supposed to do something other than toss things once their used?

Long ago and far away, as I was going out the office door for lunch, I butted in on a conversation about chocolate chip cookies. Someone had just said he liked them warm? Smart a** that I am, I aked, how do you get them warm? He said something about just out of the oven. I said, You're supposed to bake them? The look on his face was priceless, I think he thought for a moment that I was serious. Of course another time I told someone after I'd been asked who knows how many times, no I didn't get my hair cut, I washed it and it shrank. I love the look on people's faces when they are caught unaware like that.

If it weren't for a warped sense of humor, I'd have none at all.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	430448_525320810830588_564475937_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	56198  

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
bambi (11-16-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~