Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
LovelyWanderlust
Casting On

Knit to within three stitches?
So my current knitting project is a small plush elephant. The pattern I found online has been really simple and easy to follow up until this one part. It says,
"SHORT-ROW SHAPING THE HEAD: Decreases and angling are achieved in a manner similar to turning the heel of a sock. Knit to within 3 stitches of the end of the first row of the head. WITHOUT knitting the last 3 stitches, turn and knit to within 3 stitches of the other end. WITHOUT working the last 3 stitches, turn. (Short rows are created across the middle 14 stitches with a gap between them and a set of 3 stitches at each end.)"
If someone could explain what this means in an easy to understand way, that would just be fantastic. Also, if you could also explain how to do this, that would be even more fantastic.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
There are different ways of doing short rows. Just do what it says-

Knit to within 3 stitches from the end and turn,
Knit to within 3 stitches from the end and turn,
-I've no idea what she wants you to do on this row-

Do you have a link to the pattern?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
LovelyWanderlust
Casting On

Yes I do. I'm only on the ninth step of the pattern.
http://philacraft.blogspot.com/2006/10/oliphaunt.html
What does "Knit to within 3 stitches" mean though? How is that done exactly?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
"Knit to within 3 stitches" means that you will have 3 stitches remaining on the right needle when you turn your work. If you check the free videos above I believe you will find one showing short rows. Otherwise, you can google or go to youtube to find a video. Seeing what short rows are would probably help you understand what you're doing.

That's a cute elephant.

Edited to correct: 3 stitches remaining on the right needle -- should be left needle. Sometimes I get left and right mixed up I'm so sorry to have mixed it up, I hope you didn't read this and try to follow it.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 11-15-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Correction
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
LovelyWanderlust (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Ugh...I hate when patterns are written like this. It makes it incredibly hard to follow. So - Having it broken up more properly should help you figure it out. I know this sounds funny..short rows are always confusing at first..but just do them and you'll see they make sense.

SHORT-ROW SHAPING THE HEAD:
Decreases and angling are achieved in a manner similar to turning the heel of a sock. -

Knit to within 3 stitches of the end of the first row of the head. WITHOUT knitting the last 3 stitches, turn

knit to within 3 stitches of the other end. WITHOUT working the last 3 stitches, turn.

(Short rows are created across the middle 14 stitches with a gap between them and a set of 3 stitches at each end.)

Knit 13 stitches then knit the 14th stitch together with the first of the 3 reserved stitches at the end. Turn

knit 13 stitches then knit the 14th stitch together with the first of the 3 reserved stitches at the other end.

Turn and continue as established knitting 13 stitches and then a 14th together with a reserved stitch at the end until all the reserved end stitches are used up (the 14 middle stitches remain).

After you do this ask again if you need help with the next segment.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Originally Posted by LovelyWanderlust View Post
Yes I do. I'm only on the ninth step of the pattern.
http://philacraft.blogspot.com/2006/10/oliphaunt.html
What does "Knit to within 3 stitches" mean though? How is that done exactly?
If you're knitting across from right to left, you want to knit until 3sts remain on the left hand needle, then do whatever the next step is. In your case, you would turn as if you were at the end of the row. Leave the 3sts unworked, you'll get back to them later. You're going to be working extra rows in the middle of your knitting and have fewer rows at each end to shape the head. You'll see videos for short rows with a wrap & turn (w&t) but you don't need to do that here, just turn the knitting as though you were at the end of the row.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post: