Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh dear. Maybe you can tell them to continue on their own and you can be available to 'help' them individually if they get stuck.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
I agree with Sue. Plus maybe you will be able to go back to the club when things get settled. Keeping fingers crossed!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,099 Times in 2,609 Posts
That's not nice! I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully you'll be able to start again soon.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
Oh, that really is a shame. I hope things get settled soon and you're able to resume class. It sounds like you're all enjoying it so much. Keep us posted, please.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Antares
Working the Gusset

Sorry to hear about the delay in your knitting class.

A couple of recommendations for you: Perhaps having some pictures of how to hold the needles might help the girls. Also, sometimes a play-by-play in images of what the needle and yarn are supposed to do will help people, too. Well, some it well help--others not so much, but still might be worth a try.

And finally, since you can't have your meetings, I recommend giving the girls some homework. Specifically, see if you can find out what progress (if any) each girl has made. Then tell them specifically what they need to work on and where they can find information on that particular skill (as in, direct them to specific videos either here or on YouTube).

Hope you're back to teaching soon. It's lots of fun, isn't it? I've taught both groups and individuals how to knit and crochet (but not at the same time).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

So today at lunch I showed up to the room where unplanned to run my club but the room was wing used for something else, I waited for about 5 mins and none of my knitters showed up yet so I asked another student to let any knitters who may show up to tell them knitting club is cancelled this week.

I have a question though and don't think i should start a new thread about it. With all the donated yarn I have no labels, how do you suggest I sort it if I don't know what kind or weight it is? There is a lot of tiny balls that I don't know what to do with either because I'm not sure what projects can be done with such a small amount. Suggestions?

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
One way to determine weight is to use the wraps per inch (wpi) method. Wrap the yarn around a ruler and measure how many strands per inch. Don't pull it tight and don't leave it too loose. The table at the bottom of this page will give you an idea how to classify the weight. This doesn't work well with thin fuzzy yarn which is often knit at a much looser gauge than the thinner core because the fuzz fills in the stitches, but for a loose yarn it's pretty close.

For those tiny balls, they can be sorted by color, or colors that go well together and knotted together to knit all in one item, like a scaf. Let the ends show to make a kind of novelty yarn. Or you can do a scarf, one to 3 rows with each color and leave the ends free for a fringe. They could also be good for amigurumi - little stuffed animals.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
You might have to knit up small swatches and wash them to see if its felt able and therefore an animal fiber/wool, too.

Once that is done you can sort them and maybe they can be used for stripes.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Test it by fire! Different fibers burn differently. The link is to a page that tells the characteristics of different fibers exposed to flame. http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Thi...ent_guide.html I have some yarn that I'm not sure if it's 100% cotton, I need to do this with a little bit of it.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
There is a lot of tiny balls that I don't know what to do with either because I'm not sure what projects can be done with such a small amount. Suggestions?
I'm looking at hats on ravelry and came across this. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ragamuffin-hat I thought it might be useful to use or to help you think about other ways to use small amts. of yarn.