Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Ruah
Casting On

Beanie with visor pattern--need some advice
Hi,

I have a pattern for a beanie with a visor. The pattern calls for using a piece of plastic canvas for the visor, and covering the plastic cut-out visor completely with duct tape before sliding it into the knitted brim area.

I'm making the hat for my husband, who is a raft guide. He's going to be wearing the hat outdoors--in all kinds of weather. It'll get wet--it'll get dirty--and he'll be hand washing it occasionally. I'm worried about how the duct tape will hold up. My experience with duct tape is that it can get gooey around the edges when wet.

Does anyone have an alternative approach? Or experience with how the duct tape will hold up? My husband "really" wants this kind of hat, so a regular beanie without a visor won't work for him.

Thanks!!
Ruah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I've seen patterns for hats with visors that don't mention duct tape. I don't see why you can't just use the mesh. The only reason I see to use duct tape is to help slide the mesh in without snagging, but that could be handled if you're just careful.

I'd suggest googling patterns or checking out Ravelry and seeing what is the general rule.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,979 Posts
I agree that a fine plastic mesh would work as long as there weren't sharp points sticking out along the curves at the forhead and edge of the brim (ouch). The other thing I saw was a pattern that cut the brim out of the lid from Cool Whip. I wonder if the craft stores have some material like that?
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Ruah
Casting On

Thank you!
Thanks! I'll give it a try without the duct tape and see how it goes. I'll also look at Ravelry.

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I've seen patterns for hats with visors that don't mention duct tape. I don't see why you can't just use the mesh. The only reason I see to use duct tape is to help slide the mesh in without snagging, but that could be handled if you're just careful.

I'd suggest googling patterns or checking out Ravelry and seeing what is the general rule.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Ruah
Casting On

Thanks!
I'll see if the local craft store has something other than the plastic mesh I can use. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
I agree that a fine plastic mesh would work as long as there weren't sharp points sticking out along the curves at the forhead and edge of the brim (ouch). The other thing I saw was a pattern that cut the brim out of the lid from Cool Whip. I wonder if the craft stores have some material like that?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

I second the recommendation to cut the brim out of sturdy plastic--my first thought. You might look around your house and see if you can find some flexible, yet sturdy, plastic that you think might work. No sense in buying something special unless you absolutely have to.

A rafting guide, huh? Now there's a profession you don't hear about every day! Good luck with your hat. I hope you have plans to make several hats for him since it might take a while for one to completely dry out (especially the brim part because of it's double thickness).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
*Thinking of possible useful plastic items*

-coffee (or other large) can lid, maybe cut 2 and double up

-lid from microwavable container that is no longer used

-plastic storage container that shouldn't have been microwaved that last time

-the dreaded plastic shell packaging if you could manage a piece it of unmangled and large enough to use

If the reason for the tape is to make it slide in easily, I think you might just use something smooth to temporarily wrap it and then remove the wrapping. If it's for the edges that are sharp/rough, I wonder if there might be something you could use to melt them a little and smooth them out. I have an old woodburning tool that I've used for melting holes in plastics for potting plants, but I don't know how that would work for smoothing edges.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I'm thinking of a plastic milk jug.