Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH and welcome back to knitting.

Making the font larger in a print out is a great idea. I don't do that (yet), but I do often copy and paste patterns from PDFs into Word documents and then double space them before printing them out. I also take out extraneous information and change serif fonts (such as Times and Times New Roman) to Arial making it easier to read.

If I'm doing a repeating pattern, say, for a lace scarf, I stick a paperclip on the side of the paper to mark which row I'm on and then I move it up and down as I work through the repeats. This works pretty well because the paperclip is highly unlikely to fall off and/or get moved around easily.

I've used a sticky note to mark charts; however, I'm always afraid the note will come off and I'll lose my place. So I often mark the chart in pencil, too, especially if I know I'm going to be away from the project for awhile.

Those are my semi-low-tech ways of keeping my place in patterns.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (11-17-2012), Elicia (11-18-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
Hi and welcome back to knitting and to the forum!
I take a low tech approach and use sticky notes to mark my place in a pattern. I like a copy of the pattern that I feel free to mark up or write on the back of. And I find it especially helpful for Aran patterns or multiple cable patterns, to mark the different stitch combinations in different color highlighter. It just makes it easier to see a glance which stitches I should be using.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-18-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
You certainly don't need any high tech devices to knit. The term app is generally applied to applications on smart phones and tablets so when you said app I just assumed that's what you needed. If you just want to see what these apps look like many of them have websites you can read about them on.

I'll find a few and add them here in a little while.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-18-2012), salmonmac (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I will mark up the pattern pages, more so with printed pdf's rather than my books...but more so to highlight the numbers for the size I'm knitting. (I'd characterize myself as a sweater knitter)

Beyond highlighting the numbers on my pattern page, I write the pattern up, piece by piece, in a notebook. Here is an example of my notes. I essentially "knit" the entire sweater before ever casting on. A "virtual knit" if you will. There isn't a sweater that I don't work out this virtual knit beforehand. Yes, it takes time, but it helps me get all the details of the sweater pieces clearly in mind and sorted out. I rarely need to frog or tink. So after my note pages are written up (using my own knitterly language and shorthand, as you can see)...my knitting zooms along...because I have really already knit the sweater in my mind and on paper. (I've blurbed out the name of the cardigan...and all 6 pieces of the cardigan are not shown. No copyright infringement.)

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-18-2012), salmonmac (11-18-2012), susianna (11-26-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Elicia
Casting On

Different color highlighters, what a great idea !
Thank you,
elise
Elicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I keep track of where I am in the pattern by simply writing down row numbers and making a mark when I finish that row. When done with that section I go back and write on the pattern what changes I made, if any, and how many rows I did for what section. That way if I use the pattern again I know what I did previously. It may be more tedious, but it works for me. Also helps when I have to take the project in to my LYS for help when I get stuck as they have a better idea of where I am in the pattern.
Welcome back to knitting.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Hello and welcome...back to knitting.

Some great ideas above. I copy the pattern in paper and mark it up and place it back with the original. If I do that pattern again, then I read the markings from the previous time.

Most of my recent patterns are from magazines on-line so I end up highlighting and making notes in a txt file and add it to the pattern file. I can look it up when I need to, on my Android pad and add in notes easily.

Good luck with your project. I just finished a little dress see the thread in the "Whatcha knitting section" I'm on to a set of wrist gloves with multiple layer/colors from Knit picks Pattern Light layers mItts by Jennifer de Graf!
The Following User Says Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
Elicia (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Elicia
Casting On

Wow! Thank you for all the instructions and tutorial photos. That was Spectacular and so Kind of you.
It's also a great way to keep notes on a past project, too.
Best,
elise
Elicia is offline   Reply With Quote