Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
NotSewCrafty
Casting On

New to this and not doing well
Hi all,

I usually try to lurk a bit on message boards, but I am truly stumped about something and am hoping someone will be able to help.

I just started trying to learn to knit by watching the videos on this site. As they recommended, I started with a long tail cast on and the continental method of knitting. I swear I have watched those videos 20 times each, and my knitting looks nothing like hers.

I can't go from cast on to the first row of knitting. When I get to the part where I would start the actual knitting, I see that my cast on doesn't look the same as hers. The stitches look like they are crossed over each other instead of being parallel to each other like they are in the video. I can't tell where the stitch I am supposed to be knitting is, and the knitted stitches just look like a jumbled knot of mess.

I think part of the problem may be my supplies. I bought stuff before I really knew what I was doing. I have pretty thick yarn and metal needles. It's also multicolored. I can see now where I probably should have started with thinner, one color yarn and wooden (or something else) needles. But that still doesn't explain the weird crossing over in the cast on.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Any suggestions? I feel a little dumb right now, honestly.
NotSewCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote