Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Waffle61
Ribbing the Cuff

Provisional cast on
Hi,
When doing a provisional cast on, do I actually knit into the waste yarn stitches? And when I get done, what then? I want to make an infinity scarf but am confused by this process. Any help would be appreciated.
Waffle61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Yes, you will knit into the provisional cast on stitches. This video shows one way of doing a provisional cast on and then she knits into it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPSZVlI05-4t At the end of your scarf you will then be able to join the live stitches on your needle with the stitches held in the provisional cast on, maybe with a 3 needle bind off. I'd say don't be too concerned about what to do at the end just yet, you can ask when you get there. If possible, a link to your pattern would be helpful. More provisional cast ons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwG...eature=related

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Yes, you knit into the waste yarn stitches. After you bind off the one end you unzip the other end and put your needles on the stitches. What I do is slip my needle in a stitch, unzip that one, slip my needle in and unzip that one...I feel more comfortable doing it that way. Then I knit or bind off normally. No 3 needle bind off.

This is the one I do.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...rochet-cast-on

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Jan, I'm sure you are correct, I thought the 3 needle bind off would join the ends of the scarf, that's all. Maybe I have infinity scarf confused with something else.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Jan, I'm sure you are correct, I thought the 3 needle bind off would join the ends of the scarf, that's all. Maybe I have infinity scarf confused with something else.
Ack...I just realized she said infinity scarf. You're right, GG, but see my comment below.

So waffle are you following a pattern? I'm assuming its a big long loop. In this case you can do a 3 needle bind off by not binding off the other end and putting the provisional stitches on on a needle to 3 needle bi d off. However I would probably try to use Kitchener stitch if possible. Then you do t have the ridge created by 3 needle bind off and it does look like an infinite loop.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

lol Jan, I thought I'd eaten so much turkey I was reading it wrong. Doesn't matter, as long as the OP gets the help needed, right? Your Kitchener stitch idea is the right way to go; I wonder what the pattern will say. I'll have to remember that when I actually get around to doing an infinity scarf myself.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
lol Jan, I thought I'd eaten so much turkey I was reading it wrong. Doesn't matter, as long as the OP gets the help needed, right? Your Kitchener stitch idea is the right way to go; I wonder what the pattern will say. I'll have to remember that when I actually get around to doing an infinity scarf myself.
I'd probably knit it in the round myself if possible. I avoid seams like the plague. when I'm done I just want to be done!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I'd probably knit it in the round myself if possible. I avoid seams like the plague. when I'm done I just want to be done!

Even better!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Waffle61
Ribbing the Cuff

I am not following any pattern per se, I am just using a cool slubby yarn and knitting every row. I am a newer knitter and really just want to try new things....trying to improve different skills. I know about the kitchener stitch but have never done that either. So what I am understanding is that it will be better to do the kitchener stitch instead of a 3 needle bind off to have a seamless edge?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Waffle61
Ribbing the Cuff

And if I do use a kitchener stitch, was it even necessary to do a provisional cast on?