Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
neulon
Casting On

working from cast off sts... on a dog coat
Hello all, I am a beginner knitter, having only done one scarf. Right now I am attempting this project, a cargo pocket dog coat. I have just finished step 6, which is to purl 1 row, and am set to begin the leg openings. I am making a size large coat.

First question - The last row that I purled from step 6 was onto the RS, so now there is a row of purl set against the knitted work. I'm assuming this is right for the leg openings?

Second (main) question: Note: All Leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. I am guessing this refers to the leg edging, but really don't have much of a clue. After the stitches are cast off in step 1, step 2 says to beg with a purl row. Does this mean to work on the 56 stitches that remained after casting off?

Third question: Leg edging - so of course there are two leg openings. It instructs, "with first double pointed needle, "pick up and knit 7". What does pick up mean exactly? Is this where I use the "separate ball of yarn"? And then a second double pointed needle is to "pick up and knit 10". Is this second needle for the second leg opening, or is it for the opposite side of the opening?

Right now I am so confused about this, I don't even know how to put all my questions into words.. so please if someone can provide some clarification, hopefully I can figure out where this is going.
neulon is offline   Reply With Quote