Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
annekersh
Casting On

placing a pocket in a cardigan
Hi
Am fairly new to knitting. Can do basics - knit, purl, cast on and off etc! I have just started knitting a cardigan which has pockets, and I cannot understand how to do the pockets!

The pattern is a James C Brett pattern - JB030.
It has a cable pattern, which I can follow ok.

Followed the pattern for Left Front and now have to place the pocket.
I have 41 stitches on my needle

It says "Next row knit 8 cast off 20 stitches AT SAME TIME dec 5 sts across cable knit to end (21 sts)"

Then "Next row purl 13, keeping continuity of st-st and cable panel as set patt across 20 sts left on a stitch holder for one pocket lining, purl to end (41 sts)

Then "Cont until L front measures 44 cm ending with a ws row

Then you start to shape front edge.

I just don't understand how to proceed with the pocket!

Can anyone explain? I knitted the 8, then cast off 20 , at same time decreasing 5 and knitted to end but I did not have 21 stitches but 5 less! And I really don't understand how to proceed! Help!

Anne
annekersh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
Hi Anne and welcome to KnittingHelp!
These kind of pockets are made by replacing a group of stitches with the pocket lining stitches and proceeding with the pattern. You should have knit the stitches for the pocket lining already (if not, do that part now) and placed them on a stitch holder.
The cast off row is a little clearer this way: "Next row knit 8. Cast off 20 stitches AT SAME TIME dec 5 sts across cable. Knit to end (21 sts)"
You should decrease the 5 sts as you cast off the 20 sts for the front of the pocket. When you finish the row you'll have 8sts on the needle, a gap at the bound off sts and then 13sts (21sts total). Turn and purl the 13sts, then work the appropriate cable pattern row on the pocket lining sts that are sitting on a stitch holder. You can work them right off the stitch holder using that as your left needle if you like. Then purl the 8sts. Now you can continue with the pattern as you have been doing but with an opening where the pocket will be. Later you'll put an edging on the front of the pocket and sew the pocket lining to the sweater.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
annekersh (11-30-2012)