Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Blocking question
This is the first time I'll be blocking anything so not sure what the best way to do it.
One of the gals at my LYS uses a steam iron with the yarn a little damp and does it on the WS.
I've also seen it done by dampinging the whole thing and pinning to a towel.
The yarn is a worsted weight 100% wool that is hand washable only or dry clean.
I'm almost finished with my daughter's sweater, one sleeve to go, so will need to do this soon so I can finish by Christmas!!
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Rather than steaming it first, you'll want to wash it anyway - things pick up all sorts of stuff while we're making them, so you might as well clean it. Just hand wash, squeeze the excess water out by rolling in a towel, don't wring it. Then lay it flat to dry, patting into shape, you don't need to pin it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,892 Times in 3,013 Posts
Sue's advice is great....but I'd like to add...it's best to block the pieces individually before seaming.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

See, I don't knit sweaters in pieces so once I'm done knitting, the sweater's done and just needs to be washed...

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
See, I don't knit sweaters in pieces so once I'm done knitting, the sweater's done and just needs to be washed...
Oh, gotcha!

I mostly always 99.99% of the time knit in pieces. I don't like one piece top-down construction for myself. I'm okay with the body being knit in one wide piece, bottom-up, until the armholes shaping whereupon the upper body for Back, Left Front and Right Front are then knit individually. Then sleeves are knit separately, preferring flat construction, cuff up... rather than in-the-round.

Pieces lend themselves to greater blocking parameters and possibilities. But I have 3 blocking versions depending on the.project,.the yarn, etc.

My newly knit sweaters never need cleaning cuz I got them soiled during knitting, but certain yarns SURE DO NEED CLEANING, especially natural colors where the animal fibers weren't given more BATHS. Malabrigo Merino (natural white) will turn your wash pan water to a mocha color from the hidden filth that still lingers inside the yarn, prolly from the fields where the animals rolled around!

Did our knitter mention how her son's sweater is constructed? One piece? Separate pieces?

Artlady at Rav
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (11-27-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Well mine may not be so dirty, but washing it helps even out the stitches too. She didn't say what pattern she was going to knit.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Well mine may not be so dirty, but washing it helps even out the stitches too. She didn't say what pattern she was going to knit.
She mentioned needing 'to do sleeves next'....so right away I'm envisioning separate pieces for the whole thing.

I agree with you about blocking....it evens out the stitches. That's why I also block cotton knits, bamboo, all of the plant fiber yarns.

If I used acrylic, I'd block it, too!

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Sorry I didn't mention what pattern I was using or that yes it indeed is in separate pieces. I was planning on blocking them separately before putting them together so it will be easier to seam.
The sweaters I've done before were both blends that didn't need blocking as well as top down.
The pattern I'm using is Madison by Dolce. The bodice is a TWL alternating rib with the cap of the sleeves also in the rib pattern. Took me awhile to figure out the wording on the shaping of the back as it's worded differently than others I've worked with before. But I'm finally almost finished!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
Sorry I didn't mention what pattern I was using or that yes it indeed is in separate pieces. I was planning on blocking them separately before putting them together so it will be easier to seam.
The sweaters I've done before were both blends that didn't need blocking as well as top down.
The pattern I'm using is Madison by Dolce. The bodice is a TWL alternating rib with the cap of the sleeves also in the rib pattern. Took me awhile to figure out the wording on the shaping of the back as it's worded differently than others I've worked with before. But I'm finally almost finished!!!
Oh I love that pattern design! Very classy. The faux smocking on the upper body yokes is so eye-catching yet simple!

I found the design at Ravelry, and although it seems to be in a book, the designer is selling the pattern as a pdf single! Yay!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/madison-7

Artlady at Rav
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Oh I love that pattern design! Very classy. The faux smocking on the upper body yokes is so eye-catching yet simple!

I found the design at Ravelry, and although it seems to be in a book, the designer is selling the pattern as a pdf single! Yay!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/madison-7
That's where I got the patterrn. Had some difficulties with the wording on the armhole shaping for the back. Finally got it and the fronts went much easier.
The sweater is done in charcoal using "Shepard's Wool" made here in Michigan. It's not "fluffy" like the yarn shown in the picture, but then my daughter isn't the fluffy kind of woman.