Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
stitchwitch55
Casting On

Mini Cable Stitch
I am a fairly new knitter, and have found a pattern on the lion brand site for a mini cable...
I have tried and tried and tried..until I am screaming..I just cannot get it.
It says the pattern for a single repeat is five stitches.(four for pattern and 1 extra).and there are four rows to do a pattern...
NOw you wouldn't do just one cable but I finally ended up doing that because I was casting on so many times it was making me nuts..
It goes like this
Row 1 *P1, k3; rep from *, end p1.
Row 2 and 4 *K1, p3; rep from *, end k1
Row 3 *P1, skip 2 sts, k third sst on LH needle, k first st, ksecond st, then sl these 3 sts off LH needle; rep from *, end p1.
You rep these four rows for the pattern..
It is of course row 3 that is driving me up the wall, I k the third st, but when I try to do the first and second st, I have such a twisted mess..I have tried so many times I had to throw the yarn away and start fresh...can someone help me..?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
here are the instructions just as they are on the Lion site... i don't get it either but there they are.

Mini Cable
(multiple of 4 sts plus 1)

Note: the instructions below are a generic description of how to execute this stitch pattern. For a single repeat, you'd only need five stitches (four plus the 1 extra) but you'd have a VERY narrow piece! In the example shown, there are eight repeats of the stitch, so to make a swatch that looks like the one shown, you need to cast on 33 stitches (4 x the multiple of 8 stitches plus 1 extra)

Row 1 (RS) *P1, k3; rep from *, end p1.
Rows 2 and 4 *K1, p3; rep from *, end k1.
Row 3 *P1, skip 2 sts, k third st on LH needle, k first st, k second st, then sl these 3 sts off LH needle; rep from *, end p1.

Rep rows 1-4.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Just tried it. For R3, I did P1, *K3rd/1st/2nd, P1* and it looks like pic. When you do the 3-st sequence, make sure the wraps you're making with each st are loose enough to allow for maneuvering the 3.

HTH,

cam
cam90066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If it makes it easier to figure out, try this.... take a dpn or stitch holder or another needle and slip the first 2 sts off the left needle and hold them out of the way in back (or front - I don't have the picture) of your work. Then knit the first stitch from the holder, then the 2nd stitch. Mini cable done.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
ts65
Casting On

Try this...
I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but I thought I would post to help someone in the future (I had to tear it out a few times before I FINALLY figured it out).

my pattern was a bit different (skip 2 sts and knit 3rd st on LH needle, k first st, k second st, slip these off... in other words no P1 first -in other words, no P1 first)

Here's how i did it.

Slip the first 2 stitches onto another similar sized knitting needle. Pull that needle to the front to get it out of the way. Knit the 3rd stitch. Slide the 2 stitches from the 3rd needle back onto the left needle. Then knit those 2 stitches. (then P1 or do whatever the rest of your row requires.)

**Note... when you slide the 2 stitches back onto the left needle, do it just as you took them off. Don't try to knit off the 3rd needle.

Hope this helps!
ts65 is offline   Reply With Quote