Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,646 Posts
Now that you seem to have made a decison, my 2 cents worth (or not!)
If I were buying a handmade item I really would like to see and handle it first. The quality of knitting varies from one item to the next, one knitter to the next. If I were selling something I would want the purchaser to be able to see and handle it for the same reason. If it's been inspected, they really know what they're getting. Maybe if you made some things up you could get a stall at a craft fair. Here in my town there is one every year before Christmas. There are many possibilities.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I purchased my (pottery) Yarn Bowl from Etsy. Neal's Pottery advertised in the Vogue Knitting magazine...I visited his link...and it took me to his Etsy shop! I had an excellent shopping experience with him! He has a dynamite Jewelry Bowl for sale today...drool....it's such a neat idea!

I've also purchased other knitting related items from Etsy. No problems whatsoever. However, I haven't sold anything on Etsy. I really should....

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
HandyFamily
Casting On

I do have a shop on Etsy...
I sell more patterns (my patterns) than things... hm, finish items I have made. But... at least people see my work?..

Find me at http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandyFamily?ref=si_shop for yarns and patterns, or at http://kikikati.snimka.bg/hobby/moi-...rbi.312695.all for pictures of my work.
HandyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
LoveBugAngel
Knitting the Flap

I'm a bit upset. Since deciding to sell to those I know, I have been wearing my scarves kind of as advertisment and then knitting them on my lunch break at work. A colleague asked me to make her one and she'd buy it. A few minutes later another colleague (who I don't really know well, just to see her face) asks me for the pattern, I told her I get them on ravelry. She turns to the lady who asked to buy from me and says "Don't worry I'll make you one for free"! I also gave this woman my dishcloth pattern, turns out she knitted the cloths for the ppl who wanted to buy from me. UGH so frusterating. I am NOT giving her my scarf pattern! If she wants it she can go on ravelry and find it herself.

My Ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/AngelLoveBug
LoveBugAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Antares
Working the Gusset

That's pretty tacky. If I were you, I wouldn't even give her a hint of where you got your pattern. In fact, I'd probably say something like, "Since you're smart enough to try to undermine my attempts to make money, then I'm sure you're smart enough to figure it out yourself."

Then let her supply everyone with freebies until she gets sick of paying for everything. Eventually this is going to bite her in the butt, so be patient. Oh, and if you can avoid talking about your for-sale knit items in front of this woman, I would do so! If she's around and someone asks you about it, just tell them you'll talk to them about it later.

Those who appreciate the work you put into it won't mind paying you!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Wow, that is rude! I agree with Antares and I love that comment!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
I'm a bit upset. Since deciding to sell to those I know, I have been wearing my scarves kind of as advertisment and then knitting them on my lunch break at work. A colleague asked me to make her one and she'd buy it. A few minutes later another colleague (who I don't really know well, just to see her face) asks me for the pattern, I told her I get them on ravelry. She turns to the lady who asked to buy from me and says "Don't worry I'll make you one for free"! I also gave this woman my dishcloth pattern, turns out she knitted the cloths for the ppl who wanted to buy from me. UGH so frusterating. I am NOT giving her my scarf pattern! If she wants it she can go on ravelry and find it herself.
Ouch! This lady is very tacky. Seems as though she's a bit jealous of your knitting talents. Seems like she resents your making a little money on the side with your knitting. I think she has an ax she's grinding. Her behavior was outright rude, and rather condemnatory sounding...insinuating that you are wrong to make a little money for your talents and time. And she's the White Knight coming to everyone's rescue, crowning herself The Knitting Savior. What a bag.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by LoveBugAngel View Post
Use your knitting talents in a generous way, donate what you make..tons of charities need/want scarves especially with winter approaching (where I live anyway)..I always knit "nicer"(nice yarns, nice patterns) to give away..just my 2 cents...

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Antares
Working the Gusset

One other thought: Is there a way you can advertise your knit stuff at work--a bulletin board or a company Web site that has a community-based venue? Or maybe a company arts and crafts fair?

You might could even post ads on other bulletin boards around your community (grocery stores and community centers are two places that often have public and free bulletin boards). Right now, of course, many people are looking for Christmas gifts, and handmade items are so worth the money (as long as it's worth it to you to make them, that is).

Let us know how your business venture goes!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,646 Posts
This is me reading your post.
This is the "I'll make it for free" person.
These are my response to "I'll make it for free."

Casually tell a friend "in confidence" but loud enough for the evil one to overhear that you're knitting voodoo dolls.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote