Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
OK, I tried it again and this time it shows the pattern. I'm using different needles, don't think that's it but might be, and the yarn is some really cheap nasty pastel variegated stuff I chose to give new needles a test drive. (If they work with cheap, nasty stuff, they'll work with anything?) My best guess is it's RHSS, I was given it unlabeled. I think the yarn made the difference. FWIW and of course YMMV. I'm going to try it with better yarn and see what happens. Anyhow, I thought you'd like to know what's happening with that pattern for me. I'm going to try making mitts from the pattern, just don't do fingers at all.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
knitterbug13 (02-04-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You might have hit on it - This patternmay need a firmer yarn with a tighter twist to it to show the sts better than a soft loosely spun one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (02-04-2012), knitterbug13 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
knitterbug13
Casting On

Ahhhh!
Maybe that IS it, Suz.
I do believe you and GrumpyGram (who is not such a grump...@ least I don't think so...but some people have a rep to protect, so far be it for me to spread the word )...just may have hit on it.
It quite possibly could be the yarn's twist (or lack thereof). Actually, this did occur to me at one point much earlier on, when the designer initially suggested the yarn as being the culprit.
But I'd quickly (and, as it turns out, unwisely) dismissed it when I saw the work of other Ravelers who'd also used Malabrigo. What I didn't consider was the now so-clearly-obvious possibility that their Mala may have had a tighter twist than mine. Maybe even just a smidge tighter could be the difference.
Hmmm...
Well, ladies...I gotta hand it to you. You've helped me tremendously, and I can't thank you enough. The fact that you all took time out of your day to provide help to a fellow knitter in need is so greatly appreciated, I can't even begin to tell you how much. And I truly mean this, because now I can proceen on with the knowlege that I'm not "just an idiot!"
I'll continue to check in, just in case someone "discovers" something...please let me know if there's anything I can do for any of you.
My best to you and yours!!!
p.s. I'm knitterbug13 on RAVELRY, too. Please say hi whenever you're in the neighborhood!
GrumpyGramma (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
knitterbug13
Casting On

p.s. All...I just did a "search" separation for "Malabrigo" again in the FINISHED PROJECTS section for the "Treads" pattern, and this time I made it a point to look at all of them, and there are some project results in which the pattern is evident, but others in which it is not so clear (IOW...their stitch sections look a lot like mine).
I should have done this from the beginning, instead of looking at only "one or two." Makes me think all the more that Suzeeq and Gram were correct...the difference could just be in the twist of the yarn.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,087 Times in 2,598 Posts
Quote:
please let me know if there's anything I can do for any of you.
Ha! I'll make you sorry you said it already!

Have you actually tried it with another yarn yet? I'm eager to hear how it goes for you. I'm really glad my input was helpful. I get so so so much help here, I feel like I want to do something to help someone else once in a while. When I saw those gloves, I just had to give 'em a go.

Thanks for posting the pattern, it was nice to find one that the cheap yarn I have works up well in! I'm making my granddaughter "texters" to keep her hands warm when she has her phone out. Kids! Anyhow, long story short (too late! I know!) the lateral braid needs to be joined when you come to the end of the round. Works great when I'm doing 1 @ a time, but with 2 mitts on the needles for 2 @ a time, I don't see a good way to do it--one end of the round is on the needle point, the other is on the cable. I actually took the stitches for one to a holder so I could do the join on the other one, then put them back on, with the 1st 2 braids but I'm not doing it again. Any idea how to make it work?

AND I'm old enough to be as grumpy as I darned well please! ::
I tell my GKs I'm Grumpy Gramma and they laugh. Yeah, I guess I do have rep to maintain.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Slm
Casting On

Was having same problem; figured it out for me.
I was getting the same results you were, pattern was not there or if it was, it was really collapsed. Here is what I found made it work for me, and why I think it wasn't working my first try.

I'm using the free Treads mitt pattern from Ravelry. When I was doing the linen stitch for some reason I thought the 4 RND pattern ended with a purl row and began with a purl row, thus I think I was unconsciously putting an extra purl row between each 4 round set. Also I wasn't sure that I had alternated slipping or purling the first stitch of the slip stitch rounds (rounds 2 and 4). So, after rereading the stitch discription, I made sure I did each RND absolutely as stated: 1 RND, purl; 2nd, *sl1pw wyb, p1, *rep; 3 RND, purl; 4 RND, *purl1, sl1pw wyb, *rpt. When I kept repeating these 4 rows exactly, voila!!! The pattern shows up big time.

So, ending the 4 round pattern with a slip stitch round, starting the next 4 rounds with a purl round, and making sure to alternate the first stitch of slip stitch rounds fixed my problem. Maybe the same will work for you. One can hope.

Last edited by Slm : 12-03-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Ps yarn didn't make a difference. I used same yarn. Wyb=with yarn in back.
Slm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slm For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (11-30-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
Dakshina
Casting On

Originally Posted by Slm View Post
I made sure I did each RND absolutely as stated: 1 RND, purl; 2nd, *sl1pw wyb, p1, *rep; 3 RND, purl; 4 RND, *purl1, sl1pw wyb, *rpt.
The second row on the pattern I have is different. It says (wyib sl1, p1). Yours above seems to say to slip one and THEN wrap yarn to back. But yarn needs to come back to front to purl. Right? I'm having the same problem with the pattern not coming out right. Is there a mistake in my pattern? But how would you wrap to back and then purl?

Thanks for any help!
Dakshina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
Slm
Casting On

Rewrite on explanation. My abbreviation were out of order perhaps.
I probably didn't use the right abbreviations. Here is what I do for the 4 rounds.

Round 1 purl all the way around. For round 2, move yarn to back, slip
one stitch as if to purl (purl wise), move yarn to front, purl one.
Then repeat this 2-step sequence eg. move yarn to back, slip 1 purl
wise, move yarn to front, purl 1. Continue this 2-step sequence to end
of round. Round 3 is a purl round. Round 4, purl the first stitch,
move yarn to back, slip one stitch purl wise, move yarn to front, purl
one, move yarn to back, slip one stitch purl wise, move yarn to front,
purl one. Continue 2-step pattern to end. Round 1 of second set of 4
rounds is a purl round.

Rounds 2 and 4 have the slipped stitches. Round 2 starts with a
slipped stitch. Round 4 starts with a purl stitch then next stitch is
slipped. You will see on the inside/back of your knit fabric a strand
of yarn behind each slipped stitch. Those little strands can help you
determine where you are in the pattern should you have to put your
work down in the middle of the pattern work.

I hope this explanation helps clarify what I was trying to say. If
not, give me another shout out.

Last edited by Slm : 12-03-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: When slipping stitch needle in working hand goes into the front leg of the stitch from right to left as though purl
The Following User Says Thank You to Slm For This Useful Post:
Dakshina (12-04-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Slm
Casting On

We have the same info. With the yarn in back of working needle, Slip first st as if to purl (your needle goes in front leg of stitch from right to left then stitch is moved to right hand working needle), bring yarn to front of fabric, then purl one stitch, move yarn to the back, then slip one st from left to right hand needle as if purling, etc. I'm right-handed and holding working yarn in right hand, stabbing and wrapping.

Round 4 starts with a purlstitch then a slipped stitch whereas Round 2 starts with a slipped stitch then a purl stitch. Location of Slipped stitches alternates between rounds 2 and 4.

Rounds 1and 3 are purl rounds.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Dakshina View Post
The second row on the pattern I have is different. It says (wyib sl1, p1). Yours above seems to say to slip one and THEN wrap yarn to back. But yarn needs to come back to front to purl. Right? I'm having the same problem with the pattern not coming out right. Is there a mistake in my pattern? But how would you wrap to back and then purl?

Thanks for any help!
Look at what I bolded above - the slip stitch is done with the yarn in back, then you bring it forward to do the purl. To slip purlwise that only refers to how you insert the needle, the yarn stays put unless otherwise indicated as it does on this pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Dakshina (12-04-2012)