Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Heirloom Knitting Rose Trellis Lace chart
Ello,

I'm having issues with their chart and am hoping someone here has worked from it. I tried comparing it to Barbara Walker's written out instructions and they're not the same. I've been in contact with the authors of the book and for whatever reason they don't understand what I'm asking.

I initially looked for errata because on a row early on they showed the count number which was different from the number of stitches shown on the chart. I assumed the stitch count from the chart was right and went merrily knitting away.

Until I started thinking about it laying in bed last night. "What if it was right? But it can't be the count is off and I have the right number of stitches. But what if it is?" After tossing and turning until I passed out I looked up the errata this morning. I was right. The numbers they provided so you don't have to count the stitches on the chart were wrong. The chart was right. It was then I saw the second bit of errata for this pattern and since I am past that section and didn't encounter a problem with that row I am now concerned.

The errata is http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/corrections.html look at page 106 row 15 of the errata. It says the first and last black triangle (double decrease) should be a slash (single decrease) instead. That can’t be. You can’t replace a double decrease with a single and not have the count be off. I’ve gone over it and over it and don’t see how the original chart is wrong. The knitted item looks just fine. I always use stitch markers for the beg and end section as well as the pattern repeat and always count them as I work the wrong side and sometimes as I go along.

So, has anyone else used this chart? Should I just keep going? This is a 45 row pattern. I’d hate to get too far into it only to find I was wrong.

Thanks in advance
Jenn
ETA I've been in contact with the authors and for whatever reason they don't understand my question. I don't know how else to ask it.

Last edited by JLonier : 12-06-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: how'd that typo get there
JLonier is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think this is the same stitch pattern, they're reformatted versions of Barbara Walker's stitches. It may start on a different row of the lace, I don't see any double decs in row 15, but there are in other rows. Usually decs at the beg and end of a row are only single ones, even if the double decs are used in the rest of the row. Count the YOs and decs to see if they work out. Have you tried working the row with just the single decs to see? Even though it seems that that can't be right, the double decs may be wrong. You could also look up the pattern at ravelry to see if there's a note about the stitch counts either in the projects or on the pattern page.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
JLonier (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Yeah, I'm gonna rip it out and try it again. Wish I'd seen the errata sooner. I know better too :S
Thank you.

ETA I wrote that one down, it's not quite the same. I can't even find Barbara Walker's version charted. This one goes
K2, yo, ssk, yo, k3 *sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k3* and then the end 13 sts. Has 8 beg sts, 20 pattern repeat, 13 end sts.
*goes back to ripping out and trying it again*
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Nah, the sts in the row below don't line up for me without the beginning double decrease. I wish I could find my MS software so i could chart it myself. I have knitpicks software, but can't figure out how to make the on screen chart bigger. Cannot see it. And I have intertwined, but the directions stink. Guess I can dig out some graph paper :(

Last edited by JLonier : 12-06-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: stupid cell phone auto correct
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

"K2, yo, ssk, yo, k3 *sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k3* and then the end 13 sts."

Hmm - there's 7 YOs and decs in the repeat, so they're even, but 2 YOs in the beginning. Do the last 13 sts inc a double dec or 2 singles to offset the extra yo? Or are you supposed to be increasing stitches? I don't know if this is a triangle shawl or a straight scarf or shawl.

JLonier (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
"K2, yo, ssk, yo, k3 *sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k3* sl1 k2tog psso, yo, k1, yo, sl1 k2tog psso, k3 yo, k2tog, yo, k2."

Hmm - there's 7 YOs and decs in the repeat, so they're even, but 2 YOs in the beginning. Do the last 13 sts inc a double dec or 2 singles to offset the extra yo? Or are you supposed to be increasing stitches? I don't know if this is a triangle shawl or a straight scarf or shawl.
Sorry, I sometimes get flustered when I'm frustrated. The last 13 are appended to above. It's all working out I just don't know why they added errata for it. If it wasn't for that errata I wouldn't be questioning it because it looks fine :S But it'll niggle at my brain in bed tonight :(

It's the center square piece (sorry for leaving that out too jeepers I r lame) for a big baby blanket. Have 121 sts on. Doing a leaf border and a lace edge. Blankie for a friend having his last child. Want it to be as special as one would be for the first

More thank yous,
Jenn

Last edited by JLonier : 12-06-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: have to double space between paragraphs for some reason
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

It may be that the version you have has been corrected already?

JLonier (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
JLonier
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It may be that the version you have has been corrected already?
Oh, for pity's sake I never considered that. It may well have been. I've had it for several years never looked at the publication dates. Thank you. Sorry for wasting your time
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Not a problem, that's not something that immediately comes to mind.

JLonier (12-06-2012)