Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
carterm4
Casting On

ugly christmas sweater help
I am trying to make a sweater into an ugly christmas sweater for my husband to wear for a work contest. since i don't have time to make him one, i am planning on turning a cheap sweater from goodwill in to hopeful a tacky sweater. I wanted to start with knitting a christmas tree for the front I have found this pattern

http://ferbyscorner.blogspot.com/201...g-to-town.html

But am not sure how to make it bigger. So I am hoping someone can either help me enlarge it or if anyone knows of a bigger / better pattern to use. Thanks for any help you can give. Also if you have any ideas on anything to add to the sweater for the most tackiness I would love to hear them
carterm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carterm4 For This Useful Post:
TEMA (12-02-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,287 Times in 2,974 Posts
I've seen this kind of pattern done by drawing a simple outline on a piece of paper at the size you want for the sweater. Then cast on the number of stitches that approximately fits the bottom of the drawing and increase or decrease as you knit along, comparing what you have to the outline.
It certainly sounds like a lot of fun and good luck to you and your husband in the work contest.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
TEMA (12-02-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,509 Posts
Things to add? Jingle bells tied on with ribbons? Decorate your knitted tree with anything tacky you can find to add on to it? If you could find two sweaters (if they are cheap enough) in different colors you could maybe mix up the pieces from them and have different colored sleeves or parts of sleeves? This sounds like to much fun! While at the thrift store you might look for some tacky tree ornaments you could tack on (pun intended!) A felt or fleece snowman? What's Christmas w/o a snowman?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
TEMA (12-02-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Reindeer noses and knitted tree light bulbs?

Google "ugly Christmas sweaters and look at the images.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
TEMA (12-02-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

You can add little pieces of tinsel here and there. You might be able to attach battery operated Christmas tree lights on it. You can sometimes get mini sets that are only a foot long. One of those Christmas pins that light up might work also. Or try a battery operated bow tie.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Antares
Working the Gusset

This does sound like fun.

If I were doing this, I'd make my sweater look like the skirt of a Christmas tree (glue on pine needles, bits of tinsel, glitter, and maybe even a stray Christmas ornament or two). Then I'd glue on crumpled wrapping paper, ripped bits of wrapping paper, pieces of gift bags (or maybe even a whole small one), name tags, and a small empty box or two.

In other words, I'd look like the gosh-awful mess around the tree right after all the Christmas presents have been opened! That's the messiest (i.e., tackiest) time of the year--but also the happiest, too!

Please post a picture. We'd love to see your creation!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote