Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
mdoohan
Casting On

yarn substitution
Hello all,
I am hoping a more experienced knitter than I can give me advice on a yarn substitution. I want to knit the Shibui Mix No. 1 sweater. The pattern calls for two Shibui yarns held together, and while they are beautiful yarns this is my first sweater and I don't want to spend that much on yarn. But I've looked at hundreds of patterns and I really like the cut and style of this one. So I am thinking I can use a different, single yarn, as long as I gauge it correctly, right?
The yarns they use are a worsted weight and a lace weight held together and the gauge is 14 st/ 4 inches. So is it safe to say that I should be able to use a slightly thicker single yarn, like bulky i guess, and maybe adjust needle size to achieve 14 st/ 4 inches?
mdoohan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Yes, a bulky on needle sizes ~9-11 should work for 14sts/4". See how the gauge swatch goes and whether you like the drape of the knit fabric.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Even a thicker worsted ought to get that gauge on a size 10/6.5mm needle, but a bulky would work too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
mdoohan
Casting On

So, as long as the swatch gauges right and I like the resulting fabric, I shouldn't worry about using a totally different yarn? The result will be sort of a version of the same in different fabric? That's great, very helpful.
Thank you both!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
The only other thing to keep in mind is that when you use a yarn that is different it may affect the way the fabric looks. I rarely use the suggested yarn and I usually like it just fine and sometimes more. You're gauge swatch will give you an example.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by mdoohan View Post
So, as long as the swatch gauges right and I like the resulting fabric, I shouldn't worry about using a totally different yarn? The result will be sort of a version of the same in different fabric? That's great, very helpful.
Thank you both!
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
The only other thing to keep in mind is that when you use a yarn that is different it may affect the way the fabric looks. I rarely use the suggested yarn and I usually like it just fine and sometimes more. You're gauge swatch will give you an example.
I never seem to use the yarn suggested for the pattern. I have found that a springier, stretchier yarn can affect the fit and I often should use a smaller size to allow for needing less ease in the garment. This I've learned the hard way and understand why a little better because ArtLady explained it in another thread...I'd link to it but I don't recall which one it was.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
mdoohan
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I never seem to use the yarn suggested for the pattern. I have found that a springier, stretchier yarn can affect the fit and I often should use a smaller size to allow for needing less ease in the garment. This I've learned the hard way and understand why a little better because ArtLady explained it in another thread...I'd link to it but I don't recall which one it was.
Also very useful advice, thank you. Is it accurate that if I sub merino for silk that would, in fact, be a springier, stretchier yarn?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
I don't know. I've never used merino or silk, I mostly use acrylic yarns.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Make a good sized gauge swatch (at least 4x4 inches), measure it, then wash it how you'll be washing the garment and then remeasure. That should give you an idea how the fabric will look, how it handles washing, and if it stretches or shrinks. Some wools do stretch when washed and blocked. There is still no guarantee it'll all work out, but it's a start.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by mdoohan View Post
Also very useful advice, thank you. Is it accurate that if I sub merino for silk that would, in fact, be a springier, stretchier yarn?
Yes, the merino is going to be springier than the silk which tends to have less give. The silk may have more shine to it though or be blended with other yarns to give it more resilience.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote