Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #7131
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,330 Times in 3,015 Posts
GranyGES and Aparry, welcome to KH! We're glad to have you here and we're ready to try an answer your questions. It's always fun to get everyone's take on the questions and hopefully, help you complete your project.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #7132
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Decloaking
Been lurking here for a few months since a friend at work pointed me to this site and finally decided to register. Started learning to knit last March from my girlfriend who does this for a living (and is utterly amazing -- and knits really well too). We'd been together almost 2 years and I'd always been intrigued by what she did, but it took a "community project" (ahem) to actually get me to pick up the needles myself. Fortunately in addition to being a world-class knitter and crocheter, she's also incredibly patient. Me, I'm just stubborn, which in this case was a passable substitute. My first project was positively humbling. I never had the idea that it would be easy, but I did NOT expect it to be as hard as it was. Fortunately it didn't stay that way, or I might have abandoned the whole venture.

Given my late entry into the knitting realm (at the age of 52) I probably won't ever develop the kind of proficiency I'd like, but I'm okay with that. I can still surprise people with knitted chickens and so forth. ;-)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #7133
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Hi mojo and welcome. It does take patience and persistence but if it results in a knitted chicken, that's one project I can't wait to see. Glad to have you here.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #7134
egl
Casting On

Intro
My name is Liz, and as a beginner in the knitting world, I am semi proud to say I just finished a sweater for my roommate, but it is in pieces and I am not understanding the neck instructions.
Has any one heard of the book "Teach yourself to Knit" by Evie Rosen? my sister gave it to me years ago with some yarn to learn to knit, and to make the scarf in the book, once got the hang of it, I was ok. Now I am hooked on knitting. I wanted to do the sweater for my roommate and found a nice purple ( her favorite color) and had dropped so many stitches doing the sleeves I ended up probably redoing both 1000x's, but now to assemble (the book case).
Any help is welcome, thanks,
egl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #7135
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Hi mojo and welcome. It does take patience and persistence but if it results in a knitted chicken, that's one project I can't wait to see. Glad to have you here.
I've actually done ... let's see... three chickens now. Two were based on a popular pattern (with some alterations of my own) and the third was a make-it-up-as-you-go. I still need to get better photos of that one, but I'll put up shots of the first two at some point soon.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #7136
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by egl View Post
My name is Liz, and as a beginner in the knitting world, I am semi proud to say I just finished a sweater for my roommate, but it is in pieces and I am not understanding the neck instructions.
Has any one heard of the book "Teach yourself to Knit" by Evie Rosen? my sister gave it to me years ago with some yarn to learn to knit, and to make the scarf in the book, once got the hang of it, I was ok. Now I am hooked on knitting. I wanted to do the sweater for my roommate and found a nice purple ( her favorite color) and had dropped so many stitches doing the sleeves I ended up probably redoing both 1000x's, but now to assemble (the book case).
Any help is welcome, thanks,
Hi egl and welcome! Why don't you post a few lines of the neck instructions (not the whole pattern) and let us know what in particular you're not understanding. Probably starting a new thread in the "How to" forum will get more answers to your questions.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #7137
Akmjd
Casting On

Akmjd
Hi, I'm a new knitter from Alaska. I'm working on a stockinette watch cap. My stockinette stitches are slanting to the right. What can I do to correct this and what causes this. Thank you for your help .
Akmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #7138
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by Akmjd View Post
Hi, I'm a new knitter from Alaska. I'm working on a stockinette watch cap. My stockinette stitches are slanting to the right. What can I do to correct this and what causes this. Thank you for your help .
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. Try checking the free videos at the top of the page and see how what you're doing compares with the way Amy does it. That might help you see what's going on. I'm thinking you might be wrapping the yarn "backwards"...in quotes because if you do it that way on purpose, then it's not backwards.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #7139
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of knitting. Try checking the free videos at the top of the page and see how what you're doing compares with the way Amy does it. That might help you see what's going on. I'm thinking you might be wrapping the yarn "backwards"...in quotes because if you do it that way on purpose, then it's not backwards.
Are you left-handed maybe? I've heard lefties complain that things don't work the same way for them because everything is backwards. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for overcoming that... but maybe somebody else here does.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #7140
shadowfox118
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to shadowfox118
I'm back!
Hey everyone, I've been gone for a while... a lot of drama and things with school and the boyfriend, we're still together! Yay!!!! I've been working on some projects, a few for christmas presents I've already given away but... I'm finally working on my cloak!!!! so happy, hope you all are doing great! I'm finally back so I'm happy
.........♥ ..♥...........
shadowfox118 is offline   Reply With Quote