Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Ladyofblades View Post
Stupid question here but if you're a new knitter, how do you judge yarn quality?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I figured it out from talking to people who knew what they were looking at and asking a lot of questions just like yours. I still do 'cause I still don't know so awfully much.

My theory has always been if you don't know yarn, know your yarn dealer. Yeah, they have an interest in selling yarn, but they have more of an interest in keeping a customer -- if they're smart. But there's also a whole supply chain between the beast and the boutique that can be a resource.

But at the end of the day, what makes a yarn "good" is that it does what you wanted it to do and didn't evoke too much profanity in the process.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
Ladyofblades (12-17-2012)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Ladyofblades
Casting On

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
But at the end of the day, what makes a yarn "good" is that it does what you wanted it to do and didn't evoke too much profanity in the process.
That's quote could be used to describe many things in life. Not just yarn. Thanks for the advice and the anecdote.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Somehow, the wording of your subject line (repeating 'well played') sounds like you were calling them deceptive.
Maybe its my generation but i view "well-played" as a term of endearment - almost amusement...

i apologize if i made them sound deceptive or sneaky - that was not my intentions at all.

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh, don't know what generation you're in, but the phrase seemed somewhat snarky/sarcastic to me.

On the Ravelry Caron group, there have been some posts about this, and it seems that SS is not being discontinued by Spinrite, the new owners, and they may well be the manufacturers of HL's new yarn. Spinrite makes all of Michaels Loops and Threads yarn, which are similar to Bernat's, and also makes other house brand yarns.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I couldn't tell the tone from the title, but after reading through the initial post, I thought you were just teasing. I could picture you standing there with one hand on your hip and the other shaking a finger at the yarn warning it to not pretend to be something it's not.

I don't get to go to Hobby Lobby very often because I'm only on that side of town on Sundays. I think it had been over a year since the last time I was in, and when I snuck in a couple of months ago, I found their multi-aisle yarn selection was down to about an aisle and a half, with some clearance bins, and very few brands that were not in-house. (I was specifically looking for Lion Brand yarn.) It was very disappointing -- I'd been looking forward to browsing, even though I was alone with my energetic 3 and 5 year olds.

I've used I Love This Yarn once and I thought it was great, but it is too far away to make a special trip just to buy it.
sakura-panda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
janae1987 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
janae1987
Ribbing the Cuff

[quote=sakura-panda;1363475]I couldn't tell the tone from the title, but after reading through the initial post, I thought you were just teasing. I could picture you standing there with one hand on your hip and the other shaking a finger at the yarn warning it to not pretend to be something it's not.

This is pretty much what i did! lol!

knitchick87 on Ravelry! add me to your friends!

Happily Married since 10/05/13!!
janae1987 is offline   Reply With Quote