Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
wannabe
1st Leg of the Journey

assembling baby sweater--to block or not to block
Hello again. I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday and I would like to say how grateful I have been for your support in the past years. I look forward to being here more often in 2013.

In working on the baby sweater (Babies who lunch) in the Little Sublime Handknit book, I find directions that tell me to block the pieces of the sweater before assembling the sweater and joining the seams. I have never done this before and am looking for your insights as to how to go about doing this. I do have a good blocking board and pins, but I use that for drying our store bought sweaters when they are washed. I don't really know how to block with steam to get the item to lay flat without loosing it's body/spring. Any ideas at all will be welcome as always. Thank you,
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It may not be necessary to block before sewing the pieces together, it can make it easier to seam if the edges are curling. But it depends on the fiber too - acrylic won't 'block' by pinning and wetting, you'd need to steam them and be careful that they don't get too hot or the shape changes. You can also just put them together then wash and dry afterward. For acrylic or cotton that's in the washer and dryer, for other fibers wash by hand and lay flat to dry - you don't have to pin it into shape.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
wannabe
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi SuzeeQ: thanks for the info. It is 75% merino wool 25% silk, and 5% cashmere.I already have the pieces pinned onto the board, what do you think are best next steps? The pattern says to block before assembling--I have never done that.
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Dampen the pieces first, roll in a towel to get out the excess liquid, then just lay them out on the board. Pat into shape, don't stretch them out, and you only need to pin any edges that curl, you don't have to do it all over.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
Sounds like lovely soft yarn especially great for a baby sweater.
I like to pin out the pieces and spritz with water from a spray bottle. Pat the pieces gently to help the water penetrate and leave til completely dry.
Post a picture if you'd like. We'd love to see the finished sweater.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote