Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
WhitneyStarksen
Casting On

toe up two socks at a time??
I am a very new knitter, and found a simple (or so I thought!) sock pattern and it is knitting toe up, two socks at a time...what??

I have cast on the stitches correctly I am fairly certain. However, I have no clue where to go from here! I know how to knit in the round but not sure what that means when you have two sets of needles and two balls of yarn joined together.

There was a similar thread on here and the link posted for help was from sockknitters.com (sorry it won't let me post the link) . While it helped a bit with figuring out the cast on, I am still lost on how to start knitting in the round this way.

Anyone out there have suggestions on where I can figure out this toe up process?? I hope my question makes some sense.

Much appreciated!
WhitneyStarksen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
ChatyKathy
Ribbing the Cuff

I know when I start mine I have 2 of the same size cir needles. I dont connect the yarn. Its only connected to the sock I am knitting. I start with the toe and connect the first sock then connect the 2nd. As you are familiar with cir needles I do use dpn's when adding the 2nd sock to the cir needles. As you knit the first sock make sure you let go of the yarn for the first sock before you knit the 2nd. When you finish the 2nd you drop the needle and turn to start the back side of the 2nd sock you just knitted.
Knit it then drop that yarn and pick up the other yarn to work on the sock you first did. Its really not that hard as it probably has increases in it. Some patterns call for a M1 which is a make 1. or some call for a KFB which is a knit front & back to make increases. When you get to the amout of sts for your scok off you go for the foot then you will get to the heel. what type of heel is it calling for?
I do what is called the short row heel so if its different than that someone else will have to help.
After heel you do the leg part of sock.
Good luck, hope this helps some.
I did do a practice sock before I ever went to 2 sock at a time.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
WhitneyStarksen
Casting On

I'll have to post a picture later today or sometime the next couple days and see if what I have so far looks correct. Maybe that will help this all make more sense...thank you for your response!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
What pattern are you using and can you link to it? You should be able to post a link now. What weight of yarn are you using? Doing socks in worsted weight the first time is a good idea IMO as it's easier to see what you're doing and you have fewer stitches to frog if you mess up. You will end up with a warm pair of thick socks that you just might be glad to have. I wear my first pair when it's cold and they make great slippers. Knitting one at a time for learning might also be helpful, I don't think I did but I'm not sure and I can be a glutton for punishment. Here are some links you might find helpful.

Silver's Sock Class
Lifestyle Toe Up Socks This is where I learned to do socks. No swatching needed!
You didn't specify which cast on you used. This video uses Judy's Magic Cast On (Starting Toe Up Socks) which you may or may not have used, but she shows how to knit into the stitches which is pretty much the same as with any cast on.
Toe Up Socks - 1st Round She shows Judy's Magic Cast On and what to do next. Seeing more than one video of the same thing can sometimes be good. Judy's Magic Cast On is the most common for videos I think but there are others and some people prefer them.

Socks can be fun. Enjoy! Be sure to post any questions you have.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Each sock gets its own ball of yarn OR you can use the outside and the inside of one ball. After you cast on one sock toe (I used the magic CO), you let the yarn dangle, pick up new yarn and do the same cast on again. Next, turn your needles so the points face to the right, pull out the needle tip in the back, and you're ready to begin knitting the sts on the front needle (call that side A). So, knit side A of sock 1, then side A of sock 2 (don't forget to drop working yarn of sock 1 before moving to sock 2). When you finish side A, adjust your needle tips so you can knit side B. Knit side B of sock 2, then side B of sock 1 (remembering to change working yarns in between. You will keep working around like that, doing whatever increases your pattern says to get the shaped toe you want. The toes, side by side, should look something like this:

The Following User Says Thank You to dancejunky For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
WhitneyStarksen
Casting On

Thank you very much! The picture was quite helpful. I was able to make it into a local knitting shop and have them help me sort it out in person and I think I am on my way. The toes look a bit small, but I have barely started so I can't tell yet.

I am sure I will have more questions as it comes to the heel and such!

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes, they start out very small. I keep doing the increases until the little toe cap covers all my toes except the pinky toe. That gives me the negative ease I need for a nice, snug-fitting sock.