Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

I finished the shoulder/neck shaping the way that you instructed and I did it correctly. My question is: When you bind off in a row along the shoulder and then knit or purl the rest of the way toward the neck or shoulder, there is a bump transitioning from the bind off to the knit. And in the middle of the shoulder line, where the final bind off occurs, there is a small ridge. I thought that according to the pattern there is a line from the shoulder to the neck that is a slight incline, which doesn't match the slight incline in the middle of the shoulder line that I completed. Why the difference and will this weave together nicely with the front piece?
Marie743 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To avoid a bump you can slip a stitch, or knit the last 2tog when binding off.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Marie743
Ribbing the Cuff

How to shape the neck for a sweater
I followed the directions given by Sue on the neck shaping for the back of the sweater, which left the final bind offs in the middle of the neck edge. I started the neck edge on the back with seven bind offs on the shoulder edge, then three bind offs on the other side on the neck edge, then seven bind offs on that shoulder edge when I turned and three on the other side etc. Now on the front side, I'm almost ready to do the shoulder shaping, and noticed that the instructions are different. The pattern says to first, on the ws, bind off 7 from shoulder toward the neck on the purl side, and then on the other side, purl across. Then Bind off 7 more on the knit side when I turn the work and knit across on the other side. This doesn't match the back. Am I reading this wrong?
Marie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
On the last row of BOs it doesn't matter if you go from shoulder to neck or neck to shoulder - there won't be anymore stitches to be worked.
The instructions for the front seem to have you doing the BO from shoulder to neck, so that's fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote