Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #321
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

One tip I have is this : Don't try knitting with black at night when you have a toothache. I have been dealing with a toothache since last week. Found out at the dentist today that I have an infection of the tooth and will need a root canal and crown done in the next few weeks as soon as I can get the infection taken care of with antibiotics and pain killers.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #322
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I can't knit black at all unless I have a very, very good light. I pretty much avoid it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #323
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed View Post
One tip I have is this : Don't try knitting with black at night when you have a toothache. I have been dealing with a toothache since last week. Found out at the dentist today that I have an infection of the tooth and will need a root canal and crown done in the next few weeks as soon as I can get the infection taken care of with antibiotics and pain killers.
You poor thing! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've had that happen four times. Good luck with your healing and tooth repair.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #324
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,824 Posts
Oh teeth! You get lots of sympathy here. I hope it's good pain relief and fast-working. Good luck with the crowns, too.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #325
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I put my yarn that I am knitting with in a plastic grocery bag. I loosely tie the two handles together and run the working yarn out of one of the spaces at the side of the bag. This allows the yarn to feed without the skein or ball rolling all over the floor. It also keeps dirt, dust, and pet hair off the yarn. When I've finished my knitting for the day, I untie the bag and put my work along with the needles into the bag to keep it all together. If I'm working on several projects at once, it allows me to put them all into my storage tote without the yarns getting tangled together. The shopping bags are also portable so you can grab and go if you're knitting outside your home.
I've used this technique when knitting multiple strands held together. It has the added benefit of keeping them from getting tangled up in each other. I also took the four (in this case) bags I was feeding the yarn from and put them all in a basic tote bag (the reusable shopping bag sort) to hold them still and keep the grocery bags from running off unattended (and to make it easier to pick up and take along if I needed to).

Carrying this a little further, in my one and only (so far) intarsia project, I took the tiny balls of yarn and segregated them into groups that I'd be working with on each side (it was a round piece) then put each group in a ziploc bag. I fed each strand through the top of the bag and sealed the parts of the zipper in between the strands to help keep them from turning into a mess. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it DID keep me from completely losing my mind.

The plastic containers that pre-moistened cleaning wipes come in work well for this purpose too, but they tend to be a little bit small in one direction or the other when you're working from a large ball/skein. Somebody else wa-a-a-y back in the early part of this thread mentioned using plastic coffee cans with a hole punched in the lid (brilliant!). All of these have the added advantage of keeping the "bonus fiber" (i.e. dog/cat hair) out of your yarn.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #326
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I can't knit black at all unless I have a very, very good light. I pretty much avoid it.
One thing I've found helpful is to put something white in my lap when knitting black/dark colors. I found this especially useful recently when trying to pick up stitches in a black piece. The white background reflects whatever available light you have making it easier to see where the holes are. And since I'm not nearly dextrous enough to hold a thing up to the light and find a hole and cram 2 stitches into it all at once, this was a lifesaver. But generally speaking, yeah... good light is a requirement. *sigh* If only I didn't like black so well... Whatcha gonna do?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
kcrystina (01-04-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #327
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

Thanks for the comments about the teeth. The infection is healed and the temporary filling is in , I get the crown put on on Jan 7 , one day before I go back to work. In the meantime, I finished the baby blanket I was working on, a pair of owl mittens and a hat with 9 little owls all the way around the bottom above the ribbing. Thankfully the yarn wasn't black because I did a lot of knitting late into the evenings. Even we didn't get it the things into the mail until the 26th.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #328
kcrystina
Casting On

Send a message via Skype™ to kcrystina
What a helpful list ... and some good laughs too. Haven't gone through them all but I will! Thought I would pipe in my 2 cents too

I bought an iPad almost a year ago for the soul purpose of using it for my knitting. Though it has morphed into using it for more than that now, I do still use it for knitting purposes. Here are some things that I have found helpful...

Tablet/iPad Tips....

Someone in one of my FB knitting groups mentioned an app called iAnnotate PDF. This app is worth buying! It allows you to mark up the pattern your working on without worrying about losing the pattern or your notes. You can highlight where you are, highlight any area of the pattern, underline, bold, or just write something on the pattern yourself. This app alone has been so helpful for me. And saved me from using SOOO much paper

Another app is Netflix. I use it when I can sit in our living room to watch something but still want to work on a project. ... and switching with the iPad is real easy when I need to make sure I'm still working on the pattern correctly.

Something that I don't think most ppl with iPads realize is that you can save a link to a webpage and have it show up as an icon for easy access. I created a knitting folder for pages I want to have quick access to without having to open my browser first. Been great for patterns I find online that I want quick access to or want to read more later.

I've also found the notepad app handy if I'm trying to remember what stitch I start on the next row if its a repeat pattern that would normally be easy to follow but SO easy to mess up lol Like last night I started a pattern repeat where k1 and p1 switched each row with a knit row between them. I knew that by the time I finished the knit row I'd forget where I had to start so I just marked a k or p on a different line when I started on of the newer rows. So far no mistakes! lol I keep my smartphone notebook handy for this reason too. I also keep both handy incase I get inspiration and need to record it ASAP before it leaves my mind forever

.... for other non-techie tips.....

I too use extra bits of yarn to mark my place if I can't find (or reach) my markers. .... My Mom bought me a couple of caddies (will share a pic of my fav one, when I figure out how to do that in this forum from me iPad), that I absolutely love. Am sure you've seen them around, mostly used for newspaper or magazine holders and such. I keep one beside my bed and one beside my couch. Each holds a project, along with my notions, and the yarn I need for the project.

Edit... Can't figure out how to share a photo off my Facebook page photo album, so here's the link to the album, the caddie is the first pic, as its the last one I shared. http://www.facebook.com/yarnblossoms/photos_stream .... Hope that's ok if not Ill remove it.

Last edited by kcrystina : 01-04-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: adding link to Facebook page photo gallery to share photo
kcrystina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #329
rachelgeo
Casting On

Helpful, thank you!
rachelgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #330
Paulaque
1st Leg of the Journey

The only tip I have not seen
When working with a chart that I have downloaded from the net, like from Ravelry, I copy and paste it into Paint, then as I work the pattern, I use the paintbrush tool to mark the stitches I have done. If I need to shut down the computer, go to bed, etc. I just save the file where I left off, and can reopen it. Another little tip inside a tip is to save the image without your markings, and another with, I usually do it like this: peace sign 1, peace sign 2, or peace sign orig, peace sign sts