Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

Sewing
Though I said in my last post that I wanted to walk through all of the steps slowly, I am not sure how to finish this up

I sewed the knitted parts together the same way I always do: quite tight and with about one row of stitches drawn to the "inside". Maybe it is more clear in the picture:

The seam is on the inside and there will be a lining, so it just has to look good on the outside

Though I pinned it all out, I somehow managed to have 9cm on the one side and 11cm on the other

And as I sewed very tight and with some intermediate stitches to keep it all together, I was not willing to undo it all and just left it this way Not so much of a perfectionist, I guess...

As for the pinning, you'd think this would work:

I tried to keep the "columns and cables" of the front in line with the ones on the back piece. I think this worked out OK in the end.

Going around the corner:

I disaproved of this, as it just did not look right on the outside:

The purled part is too wide...

So I made the seam a bit bigger and this looked better:

One side

As you see, I left the lifeline in there - it was quite handy to use that as a reference

More sewing on the sides:

Finished (this part at least )

Then the lining
I am no hero with the sewing machine, and it did not really help that this one started to smoke like crazy. I opened up the motor, but couldn't find anything wrong so I just left it for another day and that seemed to do the trick Apparently, sewing machines can start to smoke after you haven't used them for a while - all due to the dust...

Here is the "puzzle" of the lining before sewing it all together:

It has a little inside pocket with a zipper - that was quite a challange!

The seams were all quite wide... the fabric itself is a bit stiff, so in the end it all turned out a bit "bulky". I guess using the bag will fix that problem... I hope I did not want to make smaller seams as the fabric needed to be seamed first - it falls apart on the edges quite easily.

To be continued - that will be the last one, I promise

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Antares
Working the Gusset

Very interesting. So from what I can tell, the straps wrap all the way around the purse? Is that right?

Sorry to hear about the smoking sewing machine! Mine will probably start smoking, too, if ever I use it again. Maybe it's time to oil that baby!??!

I can't wait to seeing the finished purse! It's looking good so far (and you can't tell the 3 cm difference either, so no worries there)!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@Antares
Yes, the strap goes all the way around. That's why I think the given 50inches in the pattern might be too little - the bag is quite above the hips now and not really suited to put around the head, just around the shoulder. If I ever were to make this again, I'd definitely go for a longer strap.
As for the sewing machine, dusting might do you more good if you want to prevent it from smoking. Oiling it might be a good idea for the overal performance though

I hope to upload the "finished" pictures tonight.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
I've never had a sewing machine smoke, that must have been off putting!

When I use fabrics that fray like crazy, I use a zig zag stitch and overcast the edges. Even a straight stitch near the edge helps a lot.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@GrumpyGramma
Yes, I also used a zigzag And 2 times a straight stitch - but this means the seams are about 1 cm (and a bit stiff).

Before I sew in the lining, I made the tassels. According to the description, this was the way to make them:
Cut one 8 long strand of yarn and one 12 long strand of yarn. Wrap yarn multiple times around a 3 long piece of cardboard. Cut the lower end to free wrapped strands. Tie the center of strands with 8 long strand. Fold strands in half over tie and wrap 12 long strand around all strands 1 down from top. Tie and draw ends into center of tassel. With crochet hook, join single strand of yarn in top of first tassel, make a chain 18 long, join in top of second tassel. Fasten off. Repeat with third and fourth tassels. Tie one chain around each side of strap as in photo.
I did do the part with the cardboard (40 times) and the 12'' strand. But instead of the 8'' strand to tie the center of the strands together, I used the crochet chain. I did the crocheting with 2 pieces of yarn, just like the knitting, so I could easily tie the ends around the strands without using any difficult knots

That is where I tie the strands together with an end of the crochet chain. I already took them all of the cardboard, which makes it a bit hard to stay at the center but otherwise the cardboard was really in the way.

Finished product:

As for sewing in the lining, this should have been very straightforward, but of course I managed to mess it up:

See how the seams of the bag don't add up with the seams of the lining? I don't know how it happened, but it just happened I know that I could take it apart again - but I just could not be bothered. Especially when my sister did not notice it until I pointed it out... Not sure how she could have missed that...

I connected the lining to the bag in the lower corners, around the zipper and on all the outer edges. I am not sure what to call the stitch I used... just basic hand sewing I guess... A bit of a zigzag.

A look inside:

Then there still was the buttonloop to fix on. I had already put on a button when the knitting was done - just really fast to show my sister what it would look like when I gave her the bag. Of course I forgot to put the button on properly before I put in the lining. So now I just keep my fingers crossed that my first little knot will hold that button in place
The description said to do this:
With crochet hook, join single strand of yarn in WS of flap edging 3/4 to the left of center. Make a chain 1 1/2 long, then join in WS of flap edging 3/4 to the right of center forming buttonloop.
And that is what I did, only not exactly 1 1/2'' but rather as long as seemed necessary for the button. I also thought the crochet chain did not look quite right, so I added a row of single crochet around it all.

Front

Back

And when you close the bag it looks like this:

A really small flap, isn't it? I am not crazy about the narrowness of the flap - it leaves holes at the sides... If I would make it again I would not decrease the stitches for the flap - I would increase them even more than I did now!

Here is the end result:

Back and open:

I do am happy with the end result, but I have to stress again:
IT DOES NOT ADD UP WITH THE PICTURE ON THE PATTERN.
It is misleading.

PS I did not crochet the seams of the bag. I am not that sure of my crocheting skills, though I did learn a lot the past month - and I did not think it necessary. Maybe if you sew it together differently, without inward seams, it will look better indeed.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
You've had your trials and tribulations with this bag, but it looks terrific. If your sister is silly enough to decide she doesn't like it, I'd take it! That'll never happen. Your sister is much loved and lucky!

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
KnitBeg (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
JudyD
Turning the Heel

Kudos to you for a beautiful bag!

It is possible to re-do a cable without frogging the whole piece. Two summers ago I re-did 32 inches of one cable on an afghan I was making for a charity auction. Could not tell after it was done.

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
KnitBeg
1st Leg of the Journey

@JudyD
Grand, that's good to know. But as long as I do not manage to do so with "regular" knitting I won't even dare to try cable Maybe one day, when I have enough experience.