Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
But you can use a longer circular for hats. I do mine on 24 and 29/30" ones, using single loop. Sometimes after a few inches, the sts fit on the 24s without looping, until the decreases. So hats are totally doable.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,191 Times in 2,695 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
But you can use a longer circular for hats. I do mine on 24 and 29/30" ones, using single loop. Sometimes after a few inches, the sts fit on the 24s without looping, until the decreases. So hats are totally doable.
My philosophy for circs is to err on the too long side. I can make a loop to knit fewer stitches but I've yet to manage stretching the darned thing. That's why I got my Options set. LOL I can change the cable length whenever I want.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Mrsforest
Casting On

I knew when I saw your name you are a soldier. My husband was Active but now National Guard. So first off Thank you for your service. Secondly, I used larger needles and worsted yarn to start out (been knitting for about two months now). I am an avid crocheter and have had a very hard time learning to knit. To me one hook is better than two needles at least that's what I thought. I'm now hooked on knitting. I also have problems with fine motor skills so knitting is even harder because of that and I'm doing fine. If you have a hobby lobby near you I would suggest their in house brand (softer than red heart). Also, don't let the guys rib you. You will...are in charge so make them learn to. LOL Call it punishment. HAHA. Laughing at the image in my head. A bunch of soldiers in uniform in a knitting circle.
Mrsforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
SFCDave
Casting On

Thanks to all
First and foremost, Thank You all for your advice and good natured replies. I am looking forward to getting started.

Right now I live in Germany and went out this weekend to pick up some simple supplies with no luck. All the stores in this area are of course in metric and geared much more for the more advanced knitter. I could have picked up some needles and yarn but I decided to go online and do an order. I am now, rather impatiently awaiting my circular needles and a couple of teach your self to knit type books. I have also bookmarked a few video's here and on You Tube to use as instructions.

My biggest hope is that in a few weeks I will be good enough to be able to knit while on the train to where ever we decide to go that weekend. Also if I get good enough in the next couple of years I can use it as an excuse to shoot over to Ireland to shop for true Aran yarn.
SFCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,461 Times in 3,138 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. Enjoy your time in Germany which is a wonderful place for knitters. Hope your yarn and needles order arrives soon!
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Mrsforest
Casting On

If you look at Ebay they usually sell needles in lots. It's actually cheaper than buying individually. i hear Germany is very pretty.
Mrsforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ahhh, if you had mentioned your location we could have given you 'metric' advice as well. For needles a 6mm is the same as size 10, and they don't have yarns listed as worsted or bulky, but go by the label gauges, so one that says something like 20m by 28r on 5 needles would be close to it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Sure! Hats are one of the easier things to make (which accounts for why I make so many!) I just wouldn't recommend it as a first project. Sooner or later you have to make peace with a circular with short tips, but I found them hard to manage until I got a little more comfortable. That said, my first experiences were on straight needles, so getting used to the (relatively) shorter tips on circulars -- even the longer ones -- took a bit of adjustment in general.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
When I'm teaching a new knitter to knit their first sweater, here is the criteria I look for with regards to the pattern itself:

1) dropped shoulder... sometimes called 'dropped sleeve' (eliminates armhole shaping)
2) worked flat (as opposed to 'in-the-round')
3) bottom-up construction, 4 separate pieces for pullover
4) simple pattern stitch (no cables, no lace)
5) pullover (no futzy button bands and buttonholes)

Succeed with this criteria, you'll feel confident to branch out, spread your wings.
Take on a pattern beyond your skills, you may fail miserably, and tank knitting altogether.

FOR EXAMPLE:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...t-bay-pullover

It is a free pattern! Click link below:

https://sites.google.com/site/yarnde...cotbaypullover

I personally love this 'style' of pullover. It's also okay for women, too.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Jeremy (01-08-2013)