Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Freddi
Casting On

sweater construction
I am knitting a sweater and I need help very badly. I have knitted one other sweater. I am an intermediate knitter. Here are the directions I am having trouble with: Knit the back in pattern until is reaches 21 1/4 in. Done. Shape Neck. Work on this set of sts only for right back neck. Keep patt correct, dec one st at neck edge on next 5 rows (52)sts. Done.
Shape Shoulder, here's where I get lost. Bind off 17 sts at beg of next row and foll alt row. Work 1 row. Bind of REM 18 sts. (There are NOT 18 rem. sts, there are 35) With right side facing, sl center 39 sts onto a holder, rejoin yarn to rem sts for left back neck and patt to end. Patt 1 row. Complete as given for right back neck.

Ok, I hoped the pattern was wrong and should have said "then bind off rem 35 sts", so I did that. Then I repeated for the other side, reversing where needed. Now I'm left with the 39 in the center, the neck, and I don't know what to do with them!!

The next set of instructions is for constructing the left and right front. Can someone help me? I've done so much work on this back piece and I'm ready to turn it into a funny shaped baby blanket. Thank you for any help!!
Freddi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Bind off 17 sts at beg of next row and foll alt row

Did you miss the 2nd set of 17 sts in the "foll at row"?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Freddi
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Bind off 17 sts at beg of next row and foll alt row

Did you miss the 2nd set of 17 sts in the "foll at row"?
Thank you for responding! All I know is what the directions say. I am not experienced enough with sweaters to understand what to do. I actually feel like the two shoulders are right. With what the directions said, minus the amount of binding off, they look slightly tapered. It's just those center stitches! What do I do with them? Right now they are on a holder. Maybe I just incorporate them when I attach the band?
Freddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,517 Posts
Can you link to the pattern?

"Shape Shoulder, here's where I get lost. Bind off 17 sts at beg of next row and foll alt row. Work 1 row. Bind of REM 18 sts. (There are NOT 18 rem. sts, there are 35) "

You're at 52 sts at when you get here, right?
Bind off 17 sts at beg of next row - you now have 52 - 17 = 35 sts
Work the next row, whatever your pattern is
Bind off 17 sts at beg... foll alt row. 35 - 17 = 18 sts

This is why I thought you missed the 2nd set of 17 sts to be bound off.
HTH

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

When you're done with that sweater, there's an order in the way you should sew it together. It's sew the shoulder seams. Add the collar, if the directions don't tell you otherwise. Sew the sleeves into the armholes. Seam the entire thing up from the ends of the sleeves, under the armholes, and down the sides of the sweater. An alternate way would be to sew shoulder seams, sew side seams, sew sleeve seam, and sew sleeve top into armholes. But that's a more difficult way. The first way is easier. I used to sew all my children's clothes when they were little so that's the standard order to construct a garment.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
Hi and welcome!
There are a couple of things that might help. Take a look further along in the pattern and see what it says for finishing or for the neckband or collar. Those directions may tell you what to do with the center back sts.
If you start working the right shoulder and finish with 52sts, then as GG says, you're should be on target to bind off the entire 52 (17sts twice and 18sts once). The center 39sts are likely part of the neck finishing.
Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Bind of REM 18 sts. (There are NOT 18 rem. sts, there are 35)
You should be at the other shoulder so BO 17 sts then BO the 18 sts remaining on that shoulder. The neck sts will probably be worked when you pick up stitches around the neckband.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote