Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,298 Posts
Did you find out how to inc in crochet? You'll make it happy h****er status yet!

I found you a video! Increasing and Decreasing Crochet Stitches You'll love this gal, she doesn't know if she's knitting or crocheting part of the time, but I think you'll be able to follow what she's doing. Anticipating that you'll need to know, this video also shows how to decrease in sc and how to add new yarn.

This is one of the better ones I've found. She doesn't chatter on endlessly, gets to the point, shows you what you want to know and then shuts up! Much as Amy does with her videos. Some videos I've found, by the time they get to what I want to know I"ve forgotten what I wanted to know and that explains, in part, why I'm GrumpyGramma.

You can't knit the left sock first. Ever.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-15-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
MGM
Turning the Heel

I just thought I'd throw in a plug here for my website, Hooked On Needles, where you will find lots of video tutorials on knitting, crocheting and other fun things, from beginner all the way up to some fancy stuff. Just click on the Handy Links on the sidebar for whatever you want information about, then you'll get to a list of links for all sorts of information!

Hope this helps!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-07-2013), starbuckundomiel (01-15-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
I just thought I'd throw in a plug here for my website, Hooked On Needles, where you will find lots of video tutorials on knitting, crocheting and other fun things, from beginner all the way up to some fancy stuff. Just click on the Handy Links on the sidebar for whatever you want information about, then you'll get to a list of links for all sorts of information!

Hope this helps!

MGM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I added your link at the very top of my blog thread here so now I can find you again!

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MGM (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by starbuckundomiel View Post
Ahhh... so that's a foundation sc... I always thought that was what my mom called a half-double crochet.
The foundation sc and the half-double crochet are not the same stitch, so take note of that.

When going around and around, how do you keep track of what row you're on?!
Yes, it's probably best to place some sort of marker (like a safety pin or paper clip) in the first stitch of the round. Once you become experienced at recognizing stitches, you probably won't need the marker. For example, if you're making a doily, and the first instructions of the round are to chain 10, well, you'll probably notice this big loop when you come back around to it. Meanwhile, stitch markers are the way to go.

When working in rows, it's a good idea to use a stitch marker to mark the stitch you will crochet into after your turning chain. So place your marker in the next to the last stitch of the row, work last stitch of row, work your turning chain, and then you know where the next stitch should go.

I find crochet much easier than knitting, but I learned it first and have pretty well mastered everything crochet (except for those dratted foundation stitches, which I despise)!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
cheley
Working the Gusset

Hey, Suzie, Look what I just found (looking for a vid on how to inc sts in crochet...) half-double-crochet is on this page.
Craftsy.com has tons of classes that you can purchase and download to your computer....very cheap too

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-19-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Did you find out how to inc in crochet? You'll make it happy h****er status yet!

I found you a video! Increasing and Decreasing Crochet Stitches You'll love this gal, she doesn't know if she's knitting or crocheting part of the time, but I think you'll be able to follow what she's doing. Anticipating that you'll need to know, this video also shows how to decrease in sc and how to add new yarn.

This is one of the better ones I've found. She doesn't chatter on endlessly, gets to the point, shows you what you want to know and then shuts up! Much as Amy does with her videos. Some videos I've found, by the time they get to what I want to know I"ve forgotten what I wanted to know and that explains, in part, why I'm GrumpyGramma.
I know what you're saying. I watched this crochet tutorial where the first five or ten minutes the lady jabbered on about some stupid bird outside and she's videotaping it. I'm like, get to the point, Lady. I just want to see the project video. Bird watch on your own time.
starbuckundomiel (01-15-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I know what you're saying. I watched this crochet tutorial where the first five or ten minutes the lady jabbered on about some stupid bird outside and she's videotaping it. I'm like, get to the point, Lady. I just want to see the project video. Bird watch on your own time.
The videos here at at planetpurl are my faves. Liet Gat (I think that's her name, knitfreedom.com) does good ones too. I won't buy her videos but I do think she can teach. Fortunately I can't remember who did them or what they were for so I can't say who it was...but some of them have to get animal stories or other things in there, I remember something about sea lions. Very effective, I forget the lesson and who gave it but remember the extraneous pita stories.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I think it was Bobwilson123 in Australia. She must have gone on about this bird for 10 minutes. Got to the point where I had to drag the little ball on the bottom and fast forward.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MGM View Post

Hope this helps!

MGM
Just to let you know, I went to this site and my browser blocked it saying it was a site with Malware. You don't want a virus.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Firefox lets me go there, privoxy has no problem, and neither do any of the other programs I have to block stuff and/or warn me. I've seen that at other sites but haven't ever figured out why exactly. Sometimes if I just try again the warning is gone, other times it's not. I've wondered if it has something to do with the ISP somehow.

I'm very unlikely to pick up a virus, they're written almost exclusively for MicroSoft. I use penguin power.