Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Sadly I'm my own Q&A so bugs get in.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #32
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
Sadly I'm my own Q&A so bugs get in.
Having another pair of eyes helps, but the bugs will still get in. Same with knitting, actually.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #33
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I've actually noticed a fairly staggering similarity between knitting and programming. The most obvious
Code:
do{
}while
The needle reminds me of a stack, and the stitches are put into the stack in FILO fashion.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I've actually noticed a fairly staggering similarity between knitting and programming. The most obvious
Code:
do{
}while
The needle reminds me of a stack, and the stitches are put into the stack in FILO fashion.
Mmm... I suppose I can see the stack analogy if you think of the CO as a "push", but it kinda falls apart when you "pop" the stitches off and they "push" onto another stack on the RH needle. But the do-while/do-until, yeah. For sure.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Sometimes with knitting something just doesn't connect right for me, computers can be like that too. Then I have to track down the problem or find a work around.

Last edited by GrumpyGramma : 05-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Sometimes with knitting something just doesn't connect right for me, computers can be like that too. Then I have to track down the problem or find a work around.
Happens to all of us. I've been in IT for almost 22 years and sometimes computers still don't click for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #37
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Been on the phone over an hour now with one branch trying to diagnose a dead NIC. I love it when they say it's plugged in and they are looking at the power cables, or better yet when you ask them if the computer is on and they say yes, I turned the screen on.

My all time cake taker was a manager that I spent 45 minutes trying to troubleshoot a printer that wasn't printing went through the whole shabang, including deleting and reinstalling drivers still nothing finally he suggests he check the paper tray, lo it was out of paper. The first question I had asked him was if paper was in the printer.

There needs to be an emote for head explode.

On another note last night I restarted my project, and I think tonight I'll start over again. I finally see where I am picking up extra stitches. When I begin my first stitch in a new row I have been picking up the loop and wrapping around that, instead of picking up the loop then picking the next one and winding. I think I'm doing the same on the last loops of a row as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Been on the phone over an hour now with one branch trying to diagnose a dead NIC. I love it when they say it's plugged in and they are looking at the power cables, or better yet when you ask them if the computer is on and they say yes, I turned the screen on.

My all time cake taker was a manager that I spent 45 minutes trying to troubleshoot a printer that wasn't printing went through the whole shabang, including deleting and reinstalling drivers still nothing finally he suggests he check the paper tray, lo it was out of paper. The first question I had asked him was if paper was in the printer.

On another note last night I restarted my project, and I think tonight I'll start over again. I finally see where I am picking up extra stitches. When I begin my first stitch in a new row I have been picking up the loop and wrapping around that, instead of picking up the loop then picking the next one and winding. I think I'm doing the same on the last loops of a row as well.
I think my all-time personal best was when I asked a client to send me a copy of the nightly backup so I could run some diagnostics using the actual data causing the failure and they sent me -- FedEx OVERNIGHT, no less -- a photocopy of the backup listing.

To skid back in the direction of on-topic, I'm not sure what you're describing when you say "pick up the loop then pick up the next one" when you're starting a new row. You might slip the first stitch of a new row -- people will do that to make the edge a little neater, though I haven't ever tried it -- but the loop/stitch is still gonna be there. It's possible that you're doing something funky with the ends of the rows, though, and sometimes in the edges that's hard to see. But basically the first stitch of a row (or the last one) isn't any different than the ones in the middle -- at least not in terms of what you do to it (unless you're using the aforementioned slip stitch, which I'm guessing you aren't). In garter stitch (which is what you're using IIRC) you'd just turn the work over, insert the "empty" needle in the first stitch and knit it like any other. It looks a little different because there's nothing to the right of it, and it feels a little different... for the same reason, really (it'll feel looser) but there's no difference in what you're doing as opposed to what you'd do to the following stitches. Same with the last stitch, except it usually feels a little tighter than the rest (to me anyway). the flip it over, lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum... and beyond.

If you're basing this on what the stitches were doing as you were pulling them out (which seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, doesn't it?) there IS a difference in how they behave when you get to the end of a row. I can't really explain it, because I've never figured it out myself, but it LOOKS like there's an extra stitch there when there really isn't. And anyway, if you were adding extras at the beginning and end of every row, you'd have a LOT more than a few extras. You'd be increasing by 2 stitches every row, and it would be VERY apparent before you got very far.

Dunno if that makes any sense whatever, but it's what I got.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts

I think you need to go here and watch what Amy does. Sometimes seeing it in action helps a lot.

I bet you're one of those people who insists the cupholder on my computer is actually for a DVD to go into. Really, the strange ideas people get.

There, I saved you the trouble of inserting the emoticons on a reply.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #40
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for the link I'll have to check that out.

Tonight I'll get stopping by a craft store and picking up one of those magnifier lighted delios. My eyes are getting old and even with glasses it's hard to see the stitches. I think that will help tons, and the better lighting.

As for my picking up extra stitches, I restarted the project no less than twice last night. For some reason the first 2 rows are outstanding, and the 3rd or 2nd not counting the cast row comes out wonky.

I'll also be picking up larger needles as suggested and a circular style needle set as well.

Another question I have is local yarn sources. I've done Micheals (not really a big selection of stuff at my local store) also done JoAnn Fabrics and wasn't impressed with their stuff either. Does anyone have other suggestions on where to purchase or which stores tend to cater more directly to knitting?