Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #7151
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Hi Rosie, I've lived half my life in SW Idaho and up north in the opposite end of the state. So I know that you'll get plenty of time to knit before you can even think about gardening! Baby blankets aren't very large, so won't take long to make, even for a newbie. And GG is right, larger needles will make them go faster too. Welcome!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
RosieoinIdaho (01-10-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7152
RosieoinIdaho
Casting On

Thanks for the well GG! I inherited some knitting needles from an aunt of mine so I think I'm set for the most part. I saw what appeared to be an easy blanket calling for a round needle. I only have one size of that. Maybe I'll just look for a pattern that uses standard needles. I'm going to just practice with the videos as I don't have an IRL teacher. Here goes :-)
RosieoinIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #7153
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,053 Times in 2,565 Posts
Rosie, by "round needle" do you mean a circular needle, one with a cable between the points? What pattern do you have in mind. You might want to start a new thread and post a link if it's online.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #7154
RosieoinIdaho
Casting On

I guess I really am a newbie I did mean circular needles. I'm going to go through some more patterns to find a cuter blanket pattern. I'll start a new thread when found. I think I will study the terminology a little more as well, hahaha
RosieoinIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #7155
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Terminology comes with exposure to the dark side. LOL Circular needles (you'll see them referred to as circs) can be used just the same as straight needles so the pattern you have in mind might not really need them. Circs will hold more stitches, more comfortably than straight needles. Whatever you don't know, feel free to ask. I read other peoples questions and the answers they get so that I can learn from them. One abbreviation you'll encounter is DPN = double pointed needles. Learning the terms and abbreviations can be a PITA = pain in the a**.

You'll love this: Square circular knitting needles.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #7156
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You'll love this: Square circular knitting needles.
The first time I saw a reference to "square circular needles" I thought I must've slipped into an alternate dimension or something. What I found attractive about them was the claim of a "no-memory cable". THAT I wanna see. I'm currently working on a scarf that's knit the long way on a pair of old borrowed 10.5s that's like knitting with two sticks glued to a Slinky.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #7157
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
The first time I saw a reference to "square circular needles" I thought I must've slipped into an alternate dimension or something. What I found attractive about them was the claim of a "no-memory cable". THAT I wanna see. I'm currently working on a scarf that's knit the long way on a pair of old borrowed 10.5s that's like knitting with two sticks glued to a Slinky.
I'm not sure it's totally accurate to say they have NO memory but the cables for the Knit Picks and Knitters Pride needles are very flexible and don't need to be bathed in scalding water before use. I like them. I have one set of the Cubics and personally prefer the round needles. Square or round, like anything else about needles, is totally a personal preference.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #7158
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I'm not sure it's totally accurate to say they have NO memory but the cables for the Knit Picks and Knitters Pride needles are very flexible and don't need to be bathed in scalding water before use. I like them. I have one set of the Cubics and personally prefer the round needles. Square or round, like anything else about needles, is totally a personal preference.
Wendy has the Knitters Pride Dreamz interchangeable sets and LOVES them. I have a couple of them in US 10.5 that I got for my current project (because they were available in the size/length combo I needed and cost less than the Addi Turbos). I'm partial to Hiya Hiya stainless circs myself, but they're not available anywhere locally, so I have to wait for them. And the whole waiting thing is something I'm not real good at.

I have no complaints about the Dreamz -- so far. Figured I'd try out a couple and see how they worked out. I did the same with the Hiya Hiyas, thinking that if I liked them I might go all in and get the interchangeable set. I'd wind up spending about the same on either one, so I might as well test drive both of 'em.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #7159
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to rjknittrdude747
Hello from Ontario
Hey Everyone: So glad I found this knitting forum. I've been thinking for quite awhile about joining a knitting forum, but was reluctant as I joined another non-knitting forum back in March to announce a new ebook I had just written, that I was giving away FREE.

To my amazement, even though this ebook was free, I took major bashing from many of the veterans on this forum. Kinda scared me away from forums for awhile. I considered them 'forum bullies'.

As a new author, I was there seeking help, tips, advice on making my 'first' ebook even better. That didn't happen. I'm rewriting and will re-release it this spring.

However, I'm sure I will find a 'knitting' forum MUCH friendlier as we knitters are pretty down to earth, cool, fun, creative people.

Anyway, my name is RJ Smith, from Picton, Ontario. I'm a family man with 4 boys, all who I taught to knit in years past, but only one who occasionally picks up the needles today, haha.

I'm 57 and started learning to knit when I was 8. I've knit on and off over the years and am TOTALLY ADDICTED. Have taught a number of friends over the years to knit. I LOVE teaching. I'm also a music teacher.

I developed a technique in the early 90's which I call FreeStyle Knitting, after being inspired by the Famous 'Kaffe Fassett' on his series at the time called "Glorious Color". I not only use dozens of colors in every project, but I do not use patterns. I also don't use balls or skeins, but only lengths, for the most part, except for the projects I'm doing now. I will explain this on another post.

Speaking of ebooks, I've been working on a short ebook called FreeStyle Knitting in which I will share how this technique started and what it means, to me.

Once completed, hopefully by March, I will be giving away a few hundred copies and then selling it quite cheap.

I don't have an Opt In box set up yet on my new site, which I can't post until my next post. I will have one set up very soon, so if any NEW knitters happen to see this post, just respond or look for other posts that will have the link and then you can Opt In for your FREE copy when it's done.

The main purpose of this new site will be to help NEW knitters anyway I can; to review and promote any courses or books or videos I like, etc.. And once I learn how to make video's of my own, I will have tutorials on there.

Anyway, very happy I found this forum. I look forward to meeting many of you; adding you to my facebook friends list and helping any new knitters on here.

Wishing Everyone a Happy Day of Knitting

RJ
rjknittrdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #7160
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Hi and welcome, RJ. After I learned to make Ks and Ps, this is where I learned what to do with them to make something. I think you'll find people here are friendly and helpful.