Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
DavidSydney63
Knitting the Flap

I might just say that copyright laws are different between Australia and American. We have a blanket 75 year after the death of the author.
DavidSydney63 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Intellectual property laws are ... well, confusing is probably the most polite way to say it. The last thing I remember hearing regarding copyrights was "life of the creator plus 50 years". Patents are a whole different thing, but are renewable for... I forget how long.

Since almost everything in this mod'n world is now created by more than one person, the "life of the creator" becomes a very muddy issue. And it probably got even muddier when software moved out from under the umbrella of patent law and under copyright law. (Stupid since most software will be obsolete WAY before either a patent or copyright would expire.)

Hopefully your query reaches someone at the publisher that actually knows the answer to your question. My guess is that (correct or not) they'll tell you it's protected, and the design will simply fall into The Abyss. Happens all the time.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
I wonder how many changes it would take to make it a different pattern and therefore exempt from the copyright laws.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I wonder how many changes it would take to make it a different pattern and therefore exempt from the copyright laws.
Interesting question, but I would think that it would have to be "materially different" in order to win if it ever got that far. And in this case, "materially different" sort of defeats the purpose. Because... well, this was the design you wanted in the first place!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Well, that's certainly food for thought, Gramma....however, I think mojo11 nailed it. Significant changes (that would protect you in a court of law) would defeat the purpose.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Reply from McCall's
I received a message (reply) from McCall's Customer Service Dept today. Very nice...within 24 hrs.

First, here is my original message to them:

McCall's Makes It Just For Baby: 65 Things to Knit, Crochet, Sew,1973 containing theHooded Ribbed Jacket pattern: Are the designs copyright protected? The publication isout-of-print, therefore the designs are lost and unavailable to 21st Century knitters except via thesecondary market with is hardly a viable resource. There are numerous 21st Century knitters atRavelry.com who are looking for some of the more relevant designs featured in this out-of-printbooklet, specifically the Hooded Ribbed Jacket. I am very conscious of copyright protection, andwant to locate this pattern through legal channels only. Thank you for your answer and/or
assistance. Sincerely, Dollyce Beeman

Here is their reply:

Hi Dollyce Beeman,
We are very sorry but, we only go back 4 years and the pattern you have inquired has been discontinued and no remaining copies are available and we only go back three years for discarded patterns, please try our online catalog atwww.mccall.comfor a similar pattern or you can try one of the following websites for a pattern service that may be able to find patterns that you are looking for: Ebay.com/oldpatterns.com/sewingpatterns.com
Your interest in our patterns is appreciated and we wish you luck with your pattern search.
Sincerely,
Kim Lettis
Customer Service
800-255-2762 ext 488
785-776-4041 ext 488
kiml@prod.mccall.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So now any of you may write to McCall's if you wish to get a more satisfying answer regarding OUT-OF-PRINT patterns and the copyright LOCK & KEY. You will notice, she sidestepped the question ARE THESE DESIGNS COPYRIGHT PROTECTED?

We have a name, number and email address, as seen above in the reply.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I've had places completely ignore my question before, too. I usually write them back.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Geeze, you could get the impression it's a matter of national security or something. I guess politicians don't have a corner on the market when it comes to saying nothing worthwhile and not answering a question.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Geeze, you could get the impression it's a matter of national security or something. I guess politicians don't have a corner on the market when it comes to saying nothing worthwhile and not answering a question.
I'll tell ya one thing, Gramma...if you ever had a neurotic designer turn loose on you...

...it's almost like as if it was a matter of national security! No, I take that back...it's worse than a matter of national security! If someone impinges on her/his MONEY and INCOME...it's do or die time.

And I do believe that many of today's designers have a 'net' that hunts and scavenges for mentions of their designs. I think if I emailed a pdf pattern to my girlfriend, and she knit it and posted it anywhere...the designer would become aware of it...and comparing your identity with her list of PAID CUSTOMERS....she'd wonder where you got your hands on the pdf. Some designers would have the unmitigated temerity to outright email you, asking about it.

The internet has changed everything these days. It allows us to cheat designer out of his/her income by way of electronic sharing of pdfs...and it allows her to stalk us.

It can get creepy.

Like for instance, if I gave the name of a neurotic designer that has stalked me...she'd prolly know what I am saying about her by tomorrow morning. She's that neurotic, and crazy, and mean.

My sin? She didn't like my comments in my Ravelry notebook. She thought I was saying too much about the pattern when I talked about my modifications, plans, etc. in my own Ravelry project notes. She thinks other folks will troll the internet looking for snippets of her patterns to put together the pattern without buying it. She's absolutely nuts.

So who wants to roll the dice and have a crazy designer on your butt forever more by sharing a copyrighted pattern with someone else? I've even had thoughts (when someone private messages me over at Ravelry, asking me to "share" a pattern that isn't "free") that perhaps its a a designer's spy!

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

*shudder*

The thought of making something and selling it and being stalked as you say is enough to keep me from selling anything...even if I get good enough someone would buy it. Creepy and scary.