Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by dudeKnit View Post
Another question I have is local yarn sources. I've done Micheals (not really a big selection of stuff at my local store) also done JoAnn Fabrics and wasn't impressed with their stuff either. Does anyone have other suggestions on where to purchase or which stores tend to cater more directly to knitting?
Depends on what kind of yarns you're looking for, really. I don't go to Applebee's for Kung Pao Chicken, and I kinda feel the same about yarn. That said, if you're looking for something like Encore or Lamb's Pride, it doesn't really matter where you get it. But the local yarn store has a lot of advantages besides just a larger selection of yarns. Generally, the people who work there know a LOT about yarn, and about knitting. So in addition to a wider selection of yarns, you can get answers.

Not knowing where you are, I couldn't say with authority that you've got a local shop, but if you can find one it would be worth checking out. You might be surprised, I find that Yarns, Etc and Great Yarns (here in the Research Triangle area of NC) are usually pretty competitive price-wise, and their people are incredibly knowledgeable. (And helpful too!)
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
dudeKnit (01-11-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Look in your local yellow pages book, or online under 'Yarn' and see if there's any located in your town. In small towns, sometimes quilt or fabric stores carry yarn too. You may have to visit some in the nearest larger town if yours doesn't have one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
dudeKnit (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #43
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you suzeeq, I googled and there are some local yarn (only, well knitting and crocheting) supply stores here aside from the craft chain style. So I'll be going tomorrow and checking a few of them out. I'm considering signing my daughter and myself up for some of the beginner classes, one has a "I messed up how do I fix it workshop" but it's tomorrow. I'd really like to go to that one.
dudeKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #44
suzeeq
Knit On!

You might still be able to get into that class if you have the free time for it; give the store a call.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #45
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

That's the problem, tomorrow I'm not free. I will be stopping by there tomorrow though and I'll make sure to find out when the next is.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #46
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,795 Times in 7,156 Posts
They may have the class again if its a popular one.

I loved my LYS and was there with a group twice a week. Sadly, they closed last month due to an illness in the family. :(

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #47
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I stopped into my LYS two of them actually. The first I was very impressed with, huge selection and friendly people. I ended up getting some new needles instead of using the craft store stuff I ended up spending about the same and got some stainless needles boy are they great! The lady there asked about my project and suggested a size 7 she said she had a template for a mans scarf so she pulled it and we compared and using full worsted weight it was calling for a 7 so I decided to give them a shot. Got home Saturday and restarted my project I am now 5 inches up from my cast on row (not sure how many rows in) and it's looking really great so far. I've done a color change and that came out decent as well. Ever 4th or 5th row I will count stitches to make sure I haven't lost or picked any up and though I did start off with 50 stitches I managed to pick up 6 extra stitches about 3 or 4 rows into the project. Last nights count was 56 stitches so in a few dozen rows I've not picked up or lost any more stitches.

There is one spot near the start where you can see I missed a stitch, I did not notice it until I was about a half inch up from it, I'm hoping to be able to fix that spot later on. Any tips on that would be helpful.

Oh yeah, one of the sites my LYS suggested to me was this one. Told here I'd already found it.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #48
suzeeq
Knit On!

How do you mean you 'missed a stitch'? Did you just slip it from one needle to another without working it, so it's elongated? You can probably just leave it, no one else will know. If it was closer to the row you're on, you can pick it up, but if it's 4" away, that won't be feasible.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
dudeKnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Missed as in it looks like it got doubled with another stitch, basically it appears as a small hole it is fairly noticeable too. I can post pics later today. I'm sure that will help.

I love my new needles. Though they hurt if you slip and impale yourself.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yep, a picture would help if you can.