Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Vickylee
Casting On

Cast on 1 st. increase
My scarf pattern starts with Cast on 1 st. The first row directions are: (WS). yo. K1. 2st. How do I do that?? this should be so easy, but I just don't understand. Because this is supposed to be a lacy pattern, I don't think I should knit in the front and back of the co stitch, should I? Thanks for your help.
Vickylee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A yo is just wrapping the yarn around the needle and you're supposed to do that, then knit into the cast on stitch. You could do a kfb increase though and it may not make a difference at the beginning here. Later on when the lace pattern is established, it would mess it up. Also you can just CO 2 sts to begin with, that won't be noticeable either and will still make a skinny pointed beginning.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
A yo is just wrapping the yarn around the needle and you're supposed to do that, then knit into the cast on stitch. You could do a kfb increase though and it may not make a difference at the beginning here. Later on when the lace pattern is established, it would mess it up. Also you can just CO 2 sts to begin with, that won't be noticeable either and will still make a skinny pointed beginning.
This brings back memories. The very, very first stitch I ever knitted was a kfb increase with a CO of 1 stitch. (I don't count the CO 'cos I already knew how to tie a slipknot.) So I quite literally learned to increase before I learned how to do anything else!

When I started doing the next piece of that project, my Kninja Sensei made the same comment... just CO 2 and it'll be fine. Except... I didn't know how to cast on yet!
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote