Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
MrsBknits
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Novice in need of help please!
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
MrsBknits is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MrsBknits View Post
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway ) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
MrsBknits
Casting On
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway ) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.
Glad I'm not the only one confused by this!
MrsBknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.
So I AM counting it (WAY) wrong... but I'm still not seeing where.

yrn +1 (1)
k3 +3 (4)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (2)
k3 +3 (5)
y.fwd +0 (5)
k1 +1 (6)

doing all that twice yields (12)

then
y.fwd +0 (12)
k3 +3 (15)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (13)
k3 (16)

Even if you added one for the y.fwd's that still only comes out to 19. So what am I missing?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,567
Thanks: 1,958
Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.
I figured the yrn on the next row would add one to whatever the listed row was too, but then I started adding up THAT and I can't make it be 28. Then again, I figured yfwd was just bringing the yarn forward between the needles, so what do I know?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,567
Thanks: 1,958
Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
I counted it to 28 but getting it down in writing is proving very difficult. I'll try again.



(yrn, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3,<3> y.fwd<1>, k1<1>) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3

The bolded numbers come to 10, do it twice for 20



y.fwd, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3<3>
This gives you 8 more,
20 + 8 = 28

Math and I do not get along very well.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
mojo11 (01-11-2013), MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
A yo or yrn or yf doesn't use a stitch, it's just a wrap around the needle, then you go on to the k3 or single k1. So your stitches would be -

"yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3"

The yo isn't counted as a stitch, but adds one which is offset by the decs. There's the problem - there's 3 double decs (-6 sts) and 5 YOs. So either there should be another yo, or the very last dec is either a sl1, k1, psso or k2tog, but not a double dec.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
mojo11
Knitting the Flap
 
mojo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 456
Thanks: 22
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I counted it to 28 but getting it down in writing is proving very difficult. I'll try again.



(yrn, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3,<3> y.fwd<1>, k1<1>) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3

The bolded numbers come to 10, do it twice for 20



y.fwd, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3<3>
This gives you 8 more,
20 + 8 = 28

Math and I do not get along very well.
Well you're doing better than I am. I was getting derailed by the double decrease and counting it as -2 not +1. Which... is SORTA right, but sends the stitch that IS still left on the needle into an alternate dimension.

All of this begs the requisition if yrn=YO and yfwd=yo then why use 2 different <expletive> instructions to say the same thing??
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojo11 For This Useful Post:
MrsBknits (01-11-2013)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novice Knitter Needs Help celaeno General Knitting 13 01-12-2012 02:19 PM
Help Novice Knitter LMCGA How-to Questions 4 02-06-2011 10:57 AM
novice knitter - (inc in next st) help claire82 How-to Questions 7 10-26-2009 09:51 AM
novice sewer sylvia How-to Questions 2 07-17-2009 11:15 AM
continental novice needs help! kmmknit How-to Questions 6 01-02-2008 02:53 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.