Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
GG, I used to mix sewing patterns all the time. I made a prom dress and other formal that way. People and their ridiculous rules... Honestly.
My daughter was a very large girl before weight loss surgery. The only way she had dance dresses was for me to buy a pattern and alter, alter, alter it, then alter it some more. One must get inventive and creative when the need arises. I don't think she missed one dance, that was a lot of dresses to make. The last formal dress I made for her was her wedding dress. Now she's easy to sew for and if she feels like it, does it herself.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm small and just changed the skirt on them, but I'm no stranger to altering. It can be a bugger, but it's nice to have something custom fitted. That's awesome that you could do that for her. I'm sure she really loved those dresses!

The most fun sewing was for my DDs when they were little. I no longer sew now though. It's just too fiddly And too many steps now. I can pick up yarn and needles and go and I like that better.

ETA- I started sewing when I was 10 so I was we'll versed in it by HS.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #33
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

I think this begs the question - since you have the directions - just how much would you have to CHANGE the pattern, in order to call it your own? Or to at least be able to share it freely. That'd seem like the simplest way around it to me. Or could you make SOME changes, then give credit by acknowledgment that this pattern was inspired by a pattern originally published by so-and-so on such-and-such a date?

I'm pretty sure there's something specified in this way when it comes to cookbooks...?

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Over at Ravelry, in the Pattern page for the Hooded Ribbed Jacket seen in that 1973 McCalls booklet, I posted my 2 cents in the comments section:

"It’s a crying shame that McCall’s has allowed this design to become lost, and unavailable to 21st Century knitters. With copyright laws that can lock up the design for 95 years from the publishing date, and maybe longer if McCall’s extends the copyright…it makes the design totally unavailable to 21st Century knitters. There are a few vintage copies of the Leaflet/booklet found on Ebay auction/bid basis only, but this hardly qualifies as a viable resource."

I may write to McCall's as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
JudyD
Turning the Heel

I think all this hullabaloo about copyrighted patterns and being unable to make copies is a result of the big worldwide web and trying to make money before someone else comes up with a similar idea. If you look at some of the older pattern books, booklets, leaflets, etc., there is no mention of even the designer's name, much less saying the pattern cannot be reproduced. I just checked one of my Leisure Arts books "Sweaters For All Seasons" in which there are 14 patterns and not one designer name in the book.

I worked for 12 years in a law office and know the drill for copyrighted/patented items. I dare say I'd be amazed if a designer actually went to the expense and time involved to register a copyright. They couldn't sell enough patterns to cover the cost. If you want to challenge any one of them ask for proof of copyright.

Years ago sellers of patterns knew the patterns would be hand copied and passed on to other women who couldn't afford to buy the patterns themselves. Back then it was unusual to find errors in the patterns, unlike today when errors abound, even in a so-called "test-knitted" item.

For what it's worth, that's my two cents!

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JudyD For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #35
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Part of the problem here is that it's not a single designer and its a big company name. They may not go after anyone, but they do have the resources to do so if they want to. I've heard of big names going after someone for copyrighted images for instance.

As for changing a pattern that was discussed a few posts ago. No one really knows where that line is that one shouldn't cross.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #36
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Well well...guess what!? Tonight I won the Ebay auction for the 1973 McCall's Booklet that contains the Ribbed Hooded Baby Jacket I'm interested in preserving. Yay. My (hidden) maximum bid wasn't driven higher than $17...so added to the $3.14 shipping...my booklet cost me $20.14! The booklet contains 65 patterns, a mix of knitting, crochet, quilting and sewing. For sure I know there are two baby cardigans I will knit.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on the booklet itself, to read the copyright language contains on the inside cover and/or back of book.

If I see any cracks, I will email McCall's Customer Service again and ask if I can make photo copies of the Hooded Ribbed Baby Jacket and share it with two Ravelers that seem to be in a lather about the pattern.

As I said before, I have some old tattered notes for the design, but I am going to love having the original pages with the pattern.

I started another Hooded Ribbed Baby Jacket last night, but I've modified the stitch counts tremendously, for two pressing reasons: 1) rather than worsted, my yarn is bulky weight, 2) I need a newborn 0-3 mo size and the pattern's smallest size is 6 mo.

The 6 mo size is a cast on of 102 with worsted. I cast on 78 with bulky weight...and it's working! I'm almost done with the body up to yoke...and then will knit the sleeves 2/3 of the way, then work the round yoke by joining the body stitches with the sleeve stitches. Some of you are probably very familiar with this style and construction.

The hooded ribbed baby jacket is a fisherman rib, that is to say, the knits are knit in the stitch below...and it makes a very thick poofy pattern stitch. It's very warm because air is strapped in the poofiness. I love it. Very cushy!

Did I tell you...I knit this hooded baby jacket back in 1977 for my daughter, Lauralee. Hot icy pink and red red. My BFF had one in royal and one in emerald for her son, 4 months older than Lauralee. The jacket is sorta sentimental.

I will post a photo soon!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Congrats on getting the original pattern book. This is a fascinating discussion and it'll be interesting to rse McCall's copyright information.
Adoreable sweater, no wonder you wanted the original directions.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #38
JudyD
Turning the Heel

If the pattern was copyrighted in 1973 (under the 1909 copyright act) and not renewed the copyright expired in 2001 after 28 years. Wouldn't that save a lot of grief ?

Judy
JudyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Congratulations, ArtLady!

That's a very lovely sweater you linked to. I can hardly wait to see the one you're working on now. I understand that people want to be compensated for their work or use of their property but this has all gone into the realm of ridiculous IMHO. I'm so glad you won the auction.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #40
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I learned to cook by technique, not by recipe. I apply the same thing to knitting. Or programming. Or... well, anything. So if anybody gives you and grief over mix-and-match patterns, you can always tell them that you developed it based on commonly used techniques that are universally used by everyone who sews/knits/crochets/whathaveyous.

I'd challenge anyone to prove differently.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote