Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to rjknittrdude747
FreeStyle Knitting...What Is It?
Hello Again Everyone:

As a new member here and for my 2nd post, I figured it might be a good idea to share just a little about this technique I developed in the 90's, which I mentioned in my Intro post.

If you read my Intro post, I'm a young 57; started knitting when I was 8. I've knit furiously on and off over the years. In the early 90's my wife and I saw a program on TVO, highlighting Kaffe Fassett. This series was called Glorious Color.

As a Pro Balloon Twister of 27+ years I LOVE color, so this series TOTALLY GRABBED me. I had only ever used maybe 3 colors up to that point.

After seeing the 1st show in this series, I visited our local dept store and purchased 30 colors of Bernat 100% cotton. They were like 77 cents at the time. I think I bought 'one' of every color they had, both solid and variegated.

I also found 3 of Kaffe's books at a small LYS, now long gone, but discovered another Awesome LYS last summer, which I didn't know was a yarn store.

I read Kaffe's books covr 2 covr, trying a few patrns in his bks. I found I could NOT follow pattrns. It made knitting 'work' and I wanted knitting to be fun, enjoyable, relaxing.

Kaffe mentioned during this series that he broke a lot or rules of knitting. That got me thinking, I could br8k more rules and develop my own style or technique. SO, not being able to follow the pattrns in Kaffe's books, I just started knitting, chging colors when I wanted.

Haha, when I first started this new technique, I would have 10 balls of yrn in 10 bowls on the floor and would discover after just a few rows..... A HUGE MESS!

This wasn't working. After awhile of untangling this MESS of yarn, a light went on and I thot, hey, I can just use 'lengths'.

And from this small change, basically my FreeStyle Technique was born. I'm sure this is NOT new, but it was new to me.

No pattrns to follow; dozens and dozens of colors; using only lngths from a few inches to several ft or yrds.

For any NEW knitters who might be interested, just PM me and I can give you info on how to receive your free copy, when it's ready. I hope to have finished by March. I can also give you a link to a new site I'm just building.

I am setting up this new site primarily to help NEW knitters, as I LOVE to teach.

So for now, off to do some knitting. Working on a new scarf with 50 colors.

Happy Knitting....RJ

Last edited by rjknittrdude747 : 01-14-2013 at 03:14 AM.
rjknittrdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Sending you a PM

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by rjknittrdude747 View Post
Hello Again Everyone:

As a new member here and for my 2nd post, I figured it might be a good idea to share just a little about this technique I developed in the 90's, which I mentioned in my Intro post.

If you read my Intro post, I'm a young 57; started knitting when I was 8. I've knit furiously on and off over the years. In the early 90's my wife and I saw a program on TVO, highlighting Kaffe Fassett. This series was called Glorious Color.

As a Pro Balloon Twister of 27+ years I LOVE color, so this series TOTALLY GRABBED me. I had only ever used maybe 3 colors up to that point.

After seeing the 1st show in this series, I visited our local dept store and purchased 30 colors of Bernat 100% cotton. They were like 77 cents at the time. I think I bought 'one' of every color they had, both solid and variegated.

I also found 3 of Kaffe's books at a small LYS, now long gone, but discovered another Awesome LYS last summer, which I didn't know was a yarn store.

I read Kaffe's books covr 2 covr, trying a few patrns in his bks. I found I could NOT follow pattrns. It made knitting 'work' and I wanted knitting to be fun, enjoyable, relaxing.

Kaffe mentioned during this series that he broke a lot or rules of knitting. That got me thinking, I could br8k more rules and develop my own style or technique. SO, not being able to follow the pattrns in Kaffe's books, I just started knitting, chging colors when I wanted.

Haha, when I first started this new technique, I would have 10 balls of yrn in 10 bowls on the floor and would discover after just a few rows..... A HUGE MESS!

This wasn't working. After awhile of untangling this MESS of yarn, a light went on and I thot, hey, I can just use 'lengths'.

And from this small change, basically my FreeStyle Technique was born. I'm sure this is NOT new, but it was new to me.

No pattrns to follow; dozens and dozens of colors; using only lngths from a few inches to several ft or yrds.

For any NEW knitters who might be interested, just PM me and I can give you info on how to receive your free copy, when it's ready. I hope to have finished by March. I can also give you a link to a new site I'm just building.

I am setting up this new site primarily to help NEW knitters, as I LOVE to teach.

So for now, off to do some knitting. Working on a new scarf with 50 colors.

Happy Knitting....RJ
You sound like a great guy. Do you knit for your wife and if so, does she wear what you knit for her?

I read in a knitting magazine a few years ago about Kaffe Hassett and how he likes just to knit and see where it takes him. The results looked wonderful, but I wasn't sure the method would work for me. I would have to have at least some guidance at the outstart of a project.

I hope you'll post a photo of that scarf!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Hey Gillian: Thank you so much for your reply and Kind words. No, I actually don't knit for my wife as she has been in a nursing home now for a few years. She has progressive MS. I did knit her a kinda birthday/Christmas Tarf in Christmas 2011. OH, a Tarf is a combination of a Toque/Scarf.

Haha, just a name I coined. It's kinda a long scarf, maybe 3 - 4' long, with an open end, knitted on circs. It was actually hard on me as I only used Red, White, Green. I would knit as we visited at the nursing home. It took me about 3 weeks. I wanted to have it done for her birthday, Oct. 29th, so started it the beginning of Oct..

My wife has never been a knitter, but she has always encouraged me to knit, and our boys.

Yes, Kaffe Fassett was really my inspiration to get back into knitting in the early 90's. But, I can't follow his patterns. I mean I 'could' if I wanted to, but then my knitting wouldn't be FUN, it would become work. My FreeStyle technique kinda came from his idea of just 'seeing where it takes him'. I will usually have kinda a 'basic' idea in mind before I start something, but as far as color changes, I have a bag of dozens of colors and just reach in and whatever comes out, comes out, lol.

I'm breaking that rule a little with my current scarf, as I'm doing Solid, Vari, Solid, Vari. But, I don't concern myself with what colors work together. When you don't care about that, the project becomes much more creative, at least in my opinion.

I don't know if this will work or not Gillian, but I will paste a link to my FB page where there are some photos of a few projects I've done. Please pardon the blurriness, I didn't have good lighting. Anyway, here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.147205758721597.28625.100002965208782&type= 1

If this doesn't work, just PM me and I'll try again.

I'm not sure how to post pics here on the forum. Something I'll have to learn.

Happy Knitting....RJ
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Free style knitting...a lot like what I call making it up as I go along.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Free style knitting...a lot like what I call making it up as I go along.
As opposed to "Frankenpattern", where you take a bit of this one and a bit of that one and string them together to make something else. I do a lot of both of these. In fact... I can only think of a couple of times when I DIDN'T do one or the other.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
As opposed to "Frankenpattern", where you take a bit of this one and a bit of that one and string them together to make something else. I do a lot of both of these. In fact... I can only think of a couple of times when I DIDN'T do one or the other.
In honor of your chicken creations and in that we're using a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I most humbly suggest that in future we refer to all these knitting practices as Chicken Dance knitting, an umbrella we can all share.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Hey Grumpy Gramma: Yes, this is kinda what I do, in a nutshell. for me it makes knitting very enjoyable, relaxing and fun, which is what I want it to be. It's definitely not for everyone, but sure works for me :-)

Happy Knitting....RJ
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
rjknittrdude747
Casting On

Hahaha, I like that term "Chicken Dance Knitting". I just may borrow that term. Thanks for sharing that ;-)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by rjknittrdude747 View Post
Hahaha, I like that term "Chicken Dance Knitting". I just may borrow that term. Thanks for sharing that ;-)
You're welcome. Just get in on the early release offer and you too can have it for free. But wait! There's more...Somehow I've felt trapped in an infomercial. When it comes to knitting I tend toward a hippie free-love sort of attitude: share the knitting love, no strings attached. pun intended