Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You're welcome. Just get in on the early release offer and you too can have it for free. But wait! There's more...Somehow I've felt trapped in an infomercial. When it comes to knitting I tend toward a hippie free-love sort of attitude: share the knitting love, no strings attached. pun intended
Are you sure we're not related somehow?
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Are you sure we're not related somehow?

I've heard that all is relative. Honey, I'm not sure you'd want to be related to me! This whole thread has me feeling like I've stumbled into an alternate dementia. Maybe string theory and knitting are all tangled up together somehow.

We need to knit some of these to keep our thought safe.

How weird is my sense of humor? Very weird, and it seems to be genetic. DD married a guy w/a sense of humor as strange as mine and hers. Their kids fit right in. One day to break up an argument, knowing they knew I would never do it, I told the kids I was going to lock them in a closet. They started arguing over who got the "top bunk" or shelf. Scary.

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
...the five stages of frogging.
GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Antares
Working the Gusset

Yeah, I've never met a pattern I couldn't (and didn't) alter somehow. In fact, I've altered every knitting pattern I've ever tried (sorry original designers). And I've launched out on many an uncharted expedition with just needles (or crochet hook), yarn, and an idea in my head.

Contrast that with the girl who taught me to knit. I casually mentioned to her that I had altered a pattern, and I thought she was going to faint! She said, "I NEVER deviate from the pattern." I'm not sure if she was simply appalled, thinking I'd committed the unpardonable sin or if the thought of changing a pattern had just never entered her mind. Anywho, I reminded her that there are no knitting police, . . . but I'm not sure the idea stuck (she still looked shell-shocked).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Yeah, I've never met a pattern I couldn't (and didn't) alter somehow. In fact, I've altered every knitting pattern I've ever tried (sorry original designers). And I've launched out on many an uncharted expedition with just needles (or crochet hook), yarn, and an idea in my head.

Contrast that with the girl who taught me to knit. I casually mentioned to her that I had altered a pattern, and I thought she was going to faint! She said, "I NEVER deviate from the pattern." I'm not sure if she was simply appalled, thinking I'd committed the unpardonable sin or if the thought of changing a pattern had just never entered her mind. Anywho, I reminded her that there are no knitting police, . . . but I'm not sure the idea stuck (she still looked shell-shocked).

OMG you have joined the Dark Side! Such sacrilege! This may explain why we get knots in our yarn.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Antares View Post

Some folks are just like that. When things go off-script, they don't handle it well. I don't think I've ever done a pattern without altering it in some way. Of course, SOME of those alterations are accidents. Some I stick closer to than others, but even the knit chickens from Blue Sky Alpacas got an original twist or two (well... one of them got a twist or two... the other is just twisted )
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I've heard that all is relative. Honey, I'm not sure you'd want to be related to me! This whole thread has me feeling like I've stumbled into an alternate dementia. Maybe string theory and knitting are all tangled up together somehow.

We need to knit some of these to keep our thought safe.

How weird is my sense of humor? Very weird, and it seems to be genetic. DD married a guy w/a sense of humor as strange as mine and hers. Their kids fit right in. One day to break up an argument, knowing they knew I would never do it, I told the kids I was going to lock them in a closet. They started arguing over who got the "top bunk" or shelf. Scary.
"Alternate dementia" OMG, we ARE related somehow! I have clairvoyant paranoia, and precognitive dissonance.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
"Alternate dementia" OMG, we ARE related somehow! I have clairvoyant paranoia, and precognitive dissonance.

I have an idea for a project for you: FSM hat with chicken poised to eat the noodles. Are your chickens vegan or can they have meatballs on their hat perches? You'll be the next big name in fashion!

Claire Voyant, is that the name of a chicken?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Claire Voyant, is that the name of a chicken?
Not yet I was thinking the next one would be Jimmy Changa, El Pollo Loco, but I'm kinda liking Claire Voyant. Kinda fits with the FSM-eating Chicken too...

But first I have birthdays to take care of. My mom and my girlfriend in February and my grandson in March. Mom and girlfriend are already on the needles, but they'll take a while. Grandson? I'm thinking sock Monkey Hat while he's still young enough to think that's cool. Of course I may have to make one for his mom too, once she sees it. But her birthday's not until August.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Mom and girlfriend are already on the needles, but they'll take a while.
Torture or shish kebab?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Torture or shish kebab?
You are really on a roll today aren't ya?