Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
FO: fisherman rib baby hoodie
This vintage pattern is from 1973, and the booklet is discontinued, much to my dismay. I own old tattered notes from the 1970's when my BFF and I were knitting this fisherman rib baby hoodie for our babies, Lauralee and Elliott. (Two days ago, I won an Ebay auction for the McCall's booklet that contains the original pattern!)

This yellow jacket is intended for a young Hispanic mother at our congregation. Her baby girl is very tiny, weighing 6 lbs at birth, and a whopping 10 lbs now at 8 wks. Won't this lemon yellow look wonderful on a Hispanic baby girl who has enough hair to braid!? I mean, her hair alone prolly weighs a pound! I wanted this jacket to fit her now. So I had to modify the stitch counts, etc. because the smallest size given in the pattern notes is 6 months. On top of modifying stitch counts and lengths, I used bulky yarn instead of worsted...so that was a double whammy conundrum!

Here are my Ravelry notes if you care to look.

You're not seeing things. This yarn color is tonal. It washes between very light yellow to lemon yellow.

Top button, unbuttoned.

I used a proportionately large 1" acrylic barrel button so that the jacket will stay closed, something my daughter told me to please do back when I was knitting for her babies.

As you may know, fisherman rib is very thick and cushy. Every row that you think you're counting is really two rows of knitting.

The pattern stitch: for this otherwise 1x1 rib, on every row (RS & WS) the "knit" is worked into the knit below, that is, on one row down. You just stab the right needle into the knit below, wrap the yarn, and let the two of them fall off the end of the left needle. Don't ask me why it works, but it does. On the other side, you will purl that weird double-stack stitch, so I'm saying every other row the weird knit is purled normally.

I do love fisherman rib. It's very thick and traps a lot of air. It's not thick like thick-thick 'dense'....it's thick because of air or space trapped in the stitch.

Anyway....

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
That's so pretty! The baby will look wonderful in yellow!

That is pretty small for babies nowadays. When I was born I weighed 5.6 oz which was probably normal for '52 to a smoking mother.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I like that! Great buttons, too!
ArtLady1981 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's so pretty! The baby will look wonderful in yellow!

That is pretty small for babies nowadays. When I was born I weighed 5.6 oz which was probably normal for '52 to a smoking mother.
I think her baby was two weeks early. The momma is a non-smoker, as is everyone in our congregation. (worldwide, all of our members are non-smokers)

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,805 Times in 7,164 Posts
Wow, that's very cool! Is that part of the deal? You have to be a non smoker? Both my parents smoked. (My mom died at 44 from pancreatic cancer and my dad passed away a yr ago from COPD.) The second hand smoke I must have gotten is tremendous. I had a lot of motivation never to start.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Wow, that's very cool! Is that part of the deal? You have to be a non smoker? Both my parents smoked. (My mom died at 44 from pancreatic cancer and my dad passed away a yr ago from COPD.) The second hand smoke I must have gotten is tremendous. I had a lot of motivation never to start.
Ever since it became evident that tobacco is a killer of life, and a misery on the road to death with many smoking-related illnesses....yes, our members (worldwide) are non-tobacco-users, since the early 70's.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Ever since it became evident that tobacco is a killer of life, and a misery on the road to death with many smoking-related illnesses....yes, our members (worldwide) are non-tobacco-users, since the early 70's.
Good for you. I too have never smoked anything. Don't need it, don't want the smell on me or in the house
On another note, did you ever figure out the copyright on the pattern? The last post I saw there wasn't an answer posted. Just curious.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
Good for you. I too have never smoked anything. Don't need it, don't want the smell on me or in the house
On another note, did you ever figure out the copyright on the pattern? The last post I saw there wasn't an answer posted. Just curious.
I won the Ebay auction that contains the original pattern. I'm waiting for it to arrive. When it does I'll thoroughly look through the booklet for any copyright language and symbols.

Then I'll gird my loins and tackle McCall's again, sending them a more specific inquiry. I'll outright ask if they'll give me permission to scan and copy this particular design and mail it to a friend.

Artlady at Rav
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
nonny2t
Instepping Out

Oh, it is just adorable! I know she will just love it. This color reminds me of buttered popcorn! lol As always, we can count on you to show us something gorgeous!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,754 Posts
A delightful creation for a delightful creation.

Beautifully done, as always. Love the yellow and the way it worked up.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-15-2013)