Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Antares
Working the Gusset

Ha! That Stitcher's Closet that is $42.99 is nothing more than an oversized (and over-priced) shoe or sweater organizer. Go to any dollar store and you can find them cheap cheap cheap.

I have several of these sweater organizers in a closet and also a shoe organizer for my smaller balls of yarn. I stored some of my straight needles in a plastic "shoe box"; others are poked through a scarf and hung up in the closet on a hanger. I used an empty paper towel roll to loop some of my fixed circs (old ones) through and hang up on the same hanger.

As for the needles I use all the time, I got the Jordana Paige Knitting Butler for Christmas, and they're all tucked away in it, along with scissors, row markers, note pads, and life lines.

Warning about organizing your yarn in an easy to find place: Your roommate, husband, children, visitors, and all the neighbors can then see how much yarn you REALLY have! Is that a good idea?
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

I have an old laptop bag that (so far) will hold all my gear. They were tossing a bunch of them at work that (I guess) weren't being used for anything anymore, so I salvaged them from the scrap heap and one of them has been pressed into service for knitting implements. I imagine one of its larger brethren will have to take its place eventually, but the collection of zippered pockets and flaps and folders and dividers and such make it uniquely suited to the purpose.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Rie
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Ha! That Stitcher's Closet that is $42.99 is nothing more than an oversized (and over-priced) shoe or sweater organizer. Go to any dollar store and you can find them cheap cheap cheap.

I have several of these sweater organizers in a closet and also a shoe organizer for my smaller balls of yarn. I stored some of my straight needles in a plastic "shoe box"; others are poked through a scarf and hung up in the closet on a hanger. I used an empty paper towel roll to loop some of my fixed circs (old ones) through and hang up on the same hanger.

As for the needles I use all the time, I got the Jordana Paige Knitting Butler for Christmas, and they're all tucked away in it, along with scissors, row markers, note pads, and life lines.

Warning about organizing your yarn in an easy to find place: Your roommate, husband, children, visitors, and all the neighbors can then see how much yarn you REALLY have! Is that a good idea?
The Stitcher's Closet does seem a little high doesn't it? It looks larger in the picture than any sweater organizer that I've run across so far, but I haven't really been looking for any.
I just got the other organizer today though and it's much bigger than I thought it would be.
However, when I unpacked it my two cats gathered around me like I was holding up the Holy Grail. I know they'll try to jump in it and tear the closet apart in the process. I need to look into how to child-proof the door. Although I think I'm going to like it overall, the openings for the mesh compartments are at the bottom of the compartment and I think the yarn is going to slip to the floor especially as I keep them in plastic bags. Still, it will help.
I think plastic under-bed storage is going to be my long term fix. I don't like yarn stored in open containers, even if it is in ziploc bags.

You are so right about not letting non-knitter people see the stash!!
Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Rie View Post
The Stitcher's Closet does seem a little high doesn't it? It looks larger in the picture than any sweater organizer that I've run across so far, but I haven't really been looking for any.
I just got the other organizer today though and it's much bigger than I thought it would be.
However, when I unpacked it my two cats gathered around me like I was holding up the Holy Grail. I know they'll try to jump in it and tear the closet apart in the process. I need to look into how to child-proof the door. Although I think I'm going to like it overall, the openings for the mesh compartments are at the bottom of the compartment and I think the yarn is going to slip to the floor especially as I keep them in plastic bags. Still, it will help.
I think plastic under-bed storage is going to be my long term fix. I don't like yarn stored in open containers, even if it is in ziploc bags.

You are so right about not letting non-knitter people see the stash!!
My girlfriend uses the zipper bags that blankets and sheets come packaged in for stash overflow (she actually has furniture built for most of it, this is just for the overflow). The Giant Size Ziplocs work too, but it's harder to camouflage those with a throw.

My stash (so far) will fit in a carrier bag from Wings (all you need to reach the beach!) and that's how I define my "stash cap". But the official ruling is that WIP doesn't count against stash cap, so all I have to do to avoid hitting the ceiling is start something and then work on it at least once a year and none of the yarn that's used in it counts against my stash cap. But a Wings bag will hold a LOT of yarn... if you squish it right.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Quote:
if you squish it right
I've wondered how those bags that you suck the air out of to flatten them would work for yarn storage.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I've wondered how those bags that you suck the air out of to flatten them would work for yarn storage.
I dunno. I've used them for blankets and they wound up looking like those sponges you get that fluff up when they get wet. Didn't seem to hurt the blankets any, but I don't know what they'd do to yarn. The bags are a pain to work with in any case, and who keeps stash around long enough for them to make a difference anyway?

Uhh... forget that last question. I don't know WHAT I was thinking.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Most of mine didn't work long. They always sprang a leak. For the cost it just isn't worth it to me. If I need a big bag and don't have a large zipper bag I get the larger ziplocs. I fill it and either I lay on it and zip or better yet my husband since he outweighs me and can get more air out. It works great!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Lizars1735
1st Leg of the Journey

I've used those before, but not for yarn. The air doesn't really stay "sucked out" indefinitely, but I bet it would really squish the yarn down flat, depending on how much you stuffed in. It kind of flattens them into the same shape they were put into the bag.
Lizars1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
Antares
Working the Gusset

Glad to hear you received and like one type of yarn storage. I hope you can get the cats locked out so it works properly.

As for the vacuum storage bags (space bags?), I would think they would be really REALLY unhandy. I go through my stash about three or four times a month. If I had to drag out the vacuum cleaner and "re-suck" those puppies flat every time, I just might scream. Nyah, I probably just wouldn't do it!

Under the bed storage (maybe in conjunction with Ziplock bags), sounds like a better idea to me. Hope you've got a big bed!
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I took a small walk in closet and turned it into my "craft" room. I got some inexpensive cube shaped bookcases/storage and got the fabric drawers to go with them. I have 18 of them so far and have them organized by type of yarn as well as individual projects. For example I'm currently working on an afghan for my daughter and the yarn was stored in 2 of the "drawers". If I just couldn't resist a yarn and bought it without a pattern in mind then it goes in a general drawer. I have a separate one for DK yarn, cotton, etc. Of course I fill them up again once I finish a project
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote