Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #21
MGM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
Just to let you know, I went to this site and my browser blocked it saying it was a site with Malware. You don't want a virus.
Thanks for letting me know. This has happened in the past and we alert our host and they scan the site. I will let them know you have experienced this issue and have them take care of it.

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Antares View Post
The foundation sc and the half-double crochet are not the same stitch, so take note of that.

Yes, it's probably best to place some sort of marker (like a safety pin or paper clip) in the first stitch of the round. Once you become experienced at recognizing stitches, you probably won't need the marker. For example, if you're making a doily, and the first instructions of the round are to chain 10, well, you'll probably notice this big loop when you come back around to it. Meanwhile, stitch markers are the way to go.

When working in rows, it's a good idea to use a stitch marker to mark the stitch you will crochet into after your turning chain. So place your marker in the next to the last stitch of the row, work last stitch of row, work your turning chain, and then you know where the next stitch should go.

I find crochet much easier than knitting, but I learned it first and have pretty well mastered everything crochet (except for those dratted foundation stitches, which I despise)!
i dread them too, especially since some do it upside down and others downside up... very confusing. Well, I'm trying to crochet towels now... my biggest problem is finding which is the first and which the last stitches on a row. I keep ending up with either more or less sts than I'm supposed to have

i've been working on the same little towel for 3 days and nights now... sheesh! sorry but that's why i haven't been back. I did find out that the half double and the sc aren't the same... at all, just that you pull through all sts together for the hdc.

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Firefox lets me go there, privoxy has no problem, and neither do any of the other programs I have to block stuff and/or warn me. I've seen that at other sites but haven't ever figured out why exactly. Sometimes if I just try again the warning is gone, other times it's not. I've wondered if it has something to do with the ISP somehow.

I'm very unlikely to pick up a virus, they're written almost exclusively for MicroSoft. I use penguin power.
ah ha... linux. man i miss my linux. believe me "microsoft works" is an oxymoron

so.... that's where i am today. hoping you all are doing wonderfully. i'm only 30 years behind on all my needle work so don't come on line much unless it's a dire need. been through videos and their stuff makes it easy to see the first and last sts... my work, not so much, lol

love youse guys... be back again when i can. not much today, i know but my brain is not working... many sleepless nights... but i did get the yarn for the tights/leotards so may start working on those next... winter probably,

be good and don't get tangled up in too many knots... and pray i see the light and have a revelation where i can see the sts!

thanks to all for your help and input and links. lol@ the lady talking about the bird... at least she can crochet!
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,596 Posts
Quote:
ah ha... linux. man i miss my linux. believe me "microsoft works" is an oxymoron
My SIL outlawd MS at his house, he cured MS with Macs all around, I got an old Windows laptop he said should go to ecycle and I'm running Linux Mint on it. If you want to you can go download Mint (it's a great flavor!) and do a dual boot. My drivers all worked out of the box with the d/l and I didn't have to go bald trying to get my printer up and running, now my wifi was another story but in my ignorance of what I was doing...I set up to need MAC addresses and didn't know what I'd done or why, but I got it working, now know what I did, and since it's more secure I'm leaving it like it is.

More later, maybe, gotta run now. Today I actually have a real life!

BTW my SIL, about 14 yrs. ago, told me he was a Computer Consultant (or Insultant depending on who he was working with/for or talking to) and has written or overseen the writing and installation of a lot of the code for a big company's billing system. I need to have him on my good side when it comes to computers so even if I wanted to run MS, I don't think I would.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #24
Antares
Working the Gusset

Are you using single crochets, hdc, double crochets, what? If you're using single crochets, usually your turning chain (a ch 1) and the sc are grouped together as one stitch.

If you're using any other kind of stitch (hdc, dc, etc.), you're turning chain ACTS AS the first stitch.

At any rate, are you able to identify a stitch right after you make it? I ask because it would seem to me that you can use the method I suggested. That is:

1. crochet in the next-to-the last stitch of a row
2. put a marker in the top of the stitch made in step 1
3. crochet in the last stitch
4. crochet your turning chain and turn
5. crochet in the stitch with the marker in it
6. move your marker up to mark the stitch made in step 5 as the next-to-the-last stitch.

This won't help you the first time you do it, but it should help you in all subsequent rows!

Something else that's good to know is that your turning chain (for hdc, dc, etc.) is usually a little skinnier than a regular stitch. Also, you can tug gently on the stitches at the end of a row and find where the stitch goes into the stitch below. Then follow that stitch up to find the top of it.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

thank you!
Are you using single crochets, hdc, double crochets, what? If you're using single crochets, usually your turning chain (a ch 1) and the sc are grouped together as one stitch.

If you're using any other kind of stitch (hdc, dc, etc.), you're turning chain ACTS AS the first stitch.

At any rate, are you able to identify a stitch right after you make it? I ask because it would seem to me that you can use the method I suggested. That is:

1. crochet in the next-to-the last stitch of a row
2. put a marker in the top of the stitch made in step 1
3. crochet in the last stitch
4. crochet your turning chain and turn
5. crochet in the stitch with the marker in it
6. move your marker up to mark the stitch made in step 5 as the next-to-the-last stitch.

This won't help you the first time you do it, but it should help you in all subsequent rows!

Something else that's good to know is that your turning chain (for hdc, dc, etc.) is usually a little skinnier than a regular stitch. Also, you can tug gently on the stitches at the end of a row and find where the stitch goes into the stitch below. Then follow that stitch up to find the top of it.
this is good to know. i'm making the 'big girl towel' right now. this woman has the coolest stuff! so... the first towel turned out kind of pathethically but i love it... like charlie brown's christmas tree. and i'm working on the second. mostly it's just dc and sc and skipping things. i can see the stitches better today, and yeah, i can see them when i make them, it's just getting to the right amount at the end. this morning i have been doing much better. thanks for these tips! i never wanted to learn to crochet but i must have these towels, washcloths, etc. very classy. lotsa brain work tho... i'm getting too old for this stuff
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
Antares
Working the Gusset

Glad to hear things (crochet-wise) are going more smoothly. I hope it stays that way and just gets easier and easier. Crochet is my first love even though I've been knitting more lately!

Those are beautiful towels. Are they soft, too?

You're never too old to learn something new! It's good for the old noggin'!

Edited to say: Oh, that looks like seed stitch. I can see why you're having a bit of a problem when you get to the end of the row, but hang in there, you'll get it down pat.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
MGM
Turning the Heel

Edited to say: Oh, that looks like seed stitch. I can see why you're having a bit of a problem when you get to the end of the row, but hang in there, you'll get it down pat.
Those towels are nice! I thought it looked just like my favorite woven stitch that I use for my washcloths and afghans! http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/...tch-video.html That post has a video on how to do the stitch if you're interested!

MGM
I'm also HookedOnNeedles on Flickr!
And you can find me on Facebook too!
MGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGM For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Glad to hear things (crochet-wise) are going more smoothly. I hope it stays that way and just gets easier and easier. Crochet is my first love even though I've been knitting more lately!

Those are beautiful towels. Are they soft, too?

You're never too old to learn something new! It's good for the old noggin'!

I guess it would depend on what yarn you used if they are soft but I am using Creme de la Creme yarn. It's on sale so I bought a bunch of it. I was going to buy towels and all that for my new kitchen and the quality for the price sickened me. It really did. What has happened to the love of beauty in this country? And quality. And pride in good work well done? Anyway, I made a pink big girl one and then put this 'petal edging' from a little book I bought on amazon from the 40's or something around the edge and it's gorgeous. I'm waiting for this special button I also bought, to use for it. I'll take a picture when the button gets on.

You notice nobody makes tank sets anymore? You can't get those things for the back of the toilet that keeps it from looking like a cold unfeeling monster. I like soft, cozy bathrooms with lots of fluff. So this pattern book has a tank back pattern...

The truth is, the pattern for the towel is dysfunctional if you follow it exactly. Thing is, I can't actually say, or tell what it is that I did when I tweaked it. I can do it but I can't actually describe in words. One thing I did was ch 1 at the end of every row in addition to ch 1 at the beginning and it made a big difference. Also knowing that the turning chain is counted as a sc st really helped. Just little things like that that if you didn't know or someone didn't tell you... I guessed at the ch 1 at the end. I remember my Mom aways ch 1 before turning. I had forgotten after all these years til I was actually doing it. Are you making some?

Originally Posted by MGM View Post
Those towels are nice! I thought it looked just like my favorite woven stitch that I use for my washcloths and afghans! http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/...tch-video.html That post has a video on how to do the stitch if you're interested!

MGM
OH wonderful! I like that! Thank you! It looks like this Chinese Waves knitting pattern I found. I can't find the original pattern now, this link doesn't have a pic but this pic looks like it. Thanks for the link to hooked on needles too!

And I want to thank all of you that are helping me. If I have neglected to notice your post or something, please just throw a rock at me, because I've been working so hard I come on here and fly through like a palmetto bug in a parachute. Thanks to all of you I never thought I'd be a crocheter and knitter. I must be getting smarter, GG.. I know they're not supposed to be smarter but.. I have to count EVERY stitch of every row, not mindlessly knitting st st sweaters and watching TV. I've even missed my favorite shows from this, but it's cool because I'll have knowledge and tame wild strings of yarn! (what? no superman emote? lol)

Have a great day and I'll BE BACK... God knows when though,
The Following User Says Thank You to starbuckundomiel For This Useful Post:
MGM (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

The towel... she eez finis!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

I had to reply to my own post because I can't figure out how to write 'AND' post a pic in the same one. the pic sort of took up all the space. Hope the pic isn't too big.

The button came today!

I set it between the other towels so you can see the stitches, etc. See the bleach anti-stains on the towels? See why I'm needing new ones? lol Now I'm working on the bp and fp-ing for the tank set thingie. Fun stuff. Only took 10 tries to get the first row right... whew