Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Sweetheart shorts pattern

Here's the pattern I have for shorts. I haven't made them yet either and I was planning to last Feb...

Maybe this year...

edited to add: Hey! I just got a great idea. This pattern you sent the link to uses worsted and I've got gobs of worsted and my dl loves toe socks... if a person could add toes to these or any tights... they'd have something new and unique! Someone like you who seems to know her way around a knitting needle...

Or would worsted be too thick for between the toes... yep, it would. But for the thinner yarns, maybe?

Last edited by starbuckundomiel : 01-05-2013 at 08:13 AM.
starbuckundomiel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
You'll have to let me know how your leotard/tight adventure goes. I didn't know the names for the two got switched but I do recall tights being called leotards...back in the 60s. I doubt I'm more experienced with knitting than you are, really, I'm just not smart enough to know I shouldn't do something and make a pattern? Not me! I think worsted cotton does knit up a little larger. My DD wanted a cotton sweater so I cotton sweater I knitted. If you want, you can see it here.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
starbuckundomiel (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

very nice! I like the color pattern!
The Following User Says Thank You to starbuckundomiel For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Antares
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by starbuckundomiel View Post
Did you see the materials? "Non-inflammable knitting needles"... makes me wonder (musta been mostly wooden ones back then?)...
Really? That's not what I was wondering. I was wondering, "Just what kind of material were they knitting with anyway? Some kind of yarn flambe?" Or "Did they knit so fast that the possibility of starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together warrant a caution against using wooden needles?"

And to get technical, "non-inflammable" is a double negative, so we're back to needles that readily catch on fire here! Shoulda been just inflammable if they wanted something fire resistant.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

i really am laughing this hard. How did humans ever make it to the 21st century? all that work just to have it spontaneously combust. (combust isn't a word, either... wonder if we'll make it to the 22nd?)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
And to get technical, "non-inflammable" is a double negative, so we're back to needles that readily catch on fire here! Shoulda been just inflammable if they wanted something fire resistant.
Maybe....maybe not. Inflammable actually means the same as inflammable. There's an interesting Usage note if you scroll down this page. Typically this would be a double negative but in this case I don't think it is; proper usage is another matter entirely. If you notice that this vintage pattern is dated 1958, the use of the term is not surprising. Anything to draw attention to a product is fair game in advertising.

starbuck, I looked at the shorts pattern, missed your post earlier, and who knows? I might decide to try it.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

i really am laughing this hard. How did humans ever make it to the 21st century? all that work just to have it spontaneously combust. (combust isn't a word, either... wonder if we'll make it to the 22nd?)
Combust isn't a word?

I personally don't plan on making to the 22nd century. They can sort it out for themselves. Ah, the exquisite relief of knowing I won't be responsible.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

Somehow the idea of wool tights and leotards and all that made me think of this... or maybe this.

Or, God forbid... this.
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
starbuckundomiel
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Combust isn't a word?

I personally don't plan on making to the 22nd century. They can sort it out for themselves. Ah, the exquisite relief of knowing I won't be responsible.
well, it wasn't in my speel chekkre thingamabob... so i just believed it wasn't... it got all red and highlighted it... nasty thing.

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Somehow the idea of wool tights and leotards and all that made me think of this... or maybe this.

Or, God forbid... this.
oh wow... the swimsuit would have really embarrassed me, the jumper thing i might could handle, but the poor baby! and they felt so abused they posted it on the web. sad...

I hope it never makes you think of those things again. I'm terribly sorry,
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
mojo11
Knitting the Flap

well, it wasn't in my speel chekkre thingamabob... so i just believed it wasn't... it got all red and highlighted it... nasty thing.

oh wow... the swimsuit would have really embarrassed me, the jumper thing i might could handle, but the poor baby! and they felt so abused they posted it on the web. sad...

I hope it never makes you think of those things again. I'm terribly sorry,
Oh that blog is FULL of dysfunctional designs. If you think those were bad, imagine these ever being fashionable!

And since you mentioned shorts...
mojo11 is offline   Reply With Quote